Would you trade Kim for Melky?

mdbdotcom

Before poo-pooing this idea, consider:

• In 591 AB last season (age 31), Melky put up a .345 OBP. He would not have to be part of a platoon. This would leave Joey to platoon in RF and a roster spot for Pedro.
  • Both Melky and Kim will be free agents after next season.
  • Melky's defense is a little better than Kim's

I'm sure the White Sox would love to dump Melky's $15 million contract for next season, and I'd like them to eat some of that.

Okay, what do you think?

14 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Kim doesn't have to be part of a platoon.

Kim is one of my favorite Orioles and I think many other fans feel the same way.  Keep him and give him more playing time.

I'd give him all of the playing time against right handers. And maybe against soft tossing lefties. 

27 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

What makes you think I think Dan wants that?

Good, so we agree Dan would not want to pay 15m.   So far I have seen no indication that Dan wants to spend on anyone but Trumbo.   I think its very qustionable if the O's would take on any part of Melky's contract while they are still in the bidding for Trumbo.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Good, so we agree Dan would not want to pay 15m.   So far I have seen no indication that Dan wants to spend on anyone but Trumbo.   I think its very qustionable if the O's would take on any part of Melky's contract while they are still in the bidding for Trumbo.

What makes you think we agree?

Melky's OPSed over .800 four of the last six seasons.  I'd happily trade some C-level prospect for Melky if Chicago eats some of his contract.  But it would make no sense to trade Kim for him, when Kim (or Cabrera for that matter) can slide over to DH.

Archived