Exactly what sort of "bargain" does DD think he's going to get by dragging this out?

FanSince88

We keep hearing about how DD is "bargain shopping"  this offseason.  But it seems to me the market is already depressed.  When Rajai Davis -- the second-best baserunner in all of MLB and a solid COF defender -- signs for only 1/6 with the A's in a pitcher-friendly ballpark, I don't know how much lower the market can possibly go.  

I just don't understand what DD is waiting for and what he hopes to gain here.  Prices are already rock bottom on most of these guys.  Almost everybody out there who could play outfield for us -- minus Trumbo if you want to call him an outfielder -- can be had for well under $10 million AAV.  I just don't get it.  

5 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

We keep hearing about how DD is "bargain shopping"  this offseason.  But it seems to me the market is already depressed.  When Rajai Davis -- the second-best baserunner in all of MLB and a solid COF defender -- signs for only 1/6 with the A's in a pitcher-friendly ballpark, I don't know how much lower the market can possibly go.  

Davis has been a free agent twice before, and signed for 2/$10 mm and 1/$5.2 mm.   So, I wouldn't say that 1/$6 mm is a lowball deal for him.   I do think it's a pretty good deal for the A's, though.  

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Last I heard Trumbo was still at 4/70.   Dan will wait him out to a lower price.

My OP isn't really about Trumbo.  Honestly I don't want him for more than 3/40 at the most.  You can probably get similar numbers from a Pedro Alvarez/Mancini platoon at DH.  If DD is waiting around for Trumbo I'm going to be furious.  There's other needs that need to be addressed first.  Trumbo is a luxury, not a necessity.  

Archived