MLB states signability should not be an issue

I just posted this in another thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread.

MLB sent a memo to clubs telling them to take the player they want and not to worry about signability. It's not clear if this should be seen as a signal to spend heavily. It's more likely a case of the commissioner's office providing more flexibility to scouting directors who are disgruntled about the effect of slotting on the draft, though it's uncertain whether owners will actually open their wallets. Agents are certainly still trying to steer their players toward more free-spending clubs, according to area scouts.

Most people believe the Pirates, with their #2 pick, will largely dictate the first round. Frank Coonelly, the new Pirates President used to be the MLB's vice president and the enforcer of MLB's slot system last season.

On a number of occasions, Coonelly has stated the Pirates will take the best player available, regardless of signability issues. If the Pirates do decide to pass on Alvarez, I think he will far to us. That being said, I believe the Pirates will end up taking him at #2.

For those of you who subscribe to BA, here is the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/draft-preview/2008/266088.html

Archived