Missed the boat

bird watcher

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Trumbo situation seems remarkably like the Davis situation to me.

I could be wrong.

I think that if Trumbo doesn't sign with the O's they won't spend near as much as they offered him on anyone else.

I am quite certain that if Trumbo is not an O it will be because the Orioles won't spend the money. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I've typed this out a few times now, but here we go again. Dexter went into 2016 FA looking to cash in, a lot of people had him pegged at 4/60. Unfortunately for Dexter, and thanks to the draft pick attached to him, no one came close. Baltimore gave him his best multi year offer, I believe it was something like 3/33 off the top of my head. It was at this point that Dexter asked for a one year deal, I never saw it in print that he asked for an opt out after year 1 in his 3 year, just that he wanted a one year deal. He wanted to play 1 more year on a show me deal and then try to cash in again next offseason. Understandably the Orioles said absolutely not. Who throws away a first round draft pick on a guy who is only going to be around for 1 year? It was at this point that Theo and Dex started talking and he ended up coming back to the Cubs on a one year deal. He drove through the night to meet with Jed and Theo in Arizona at spring training to do the paper work and get introduced to the team. Anything beyond this is speculation. Saying he agreed to a 3 year deal and backed out is speculation, which even Duquette said was not true.

17 hours ago, weams said:

Jim wept at Earl's death.  I was near him shortly after he found out. 

That doesn't mean they were good friends. You work with/under someone for man years and you can grow to respect them. In hindsight, I'm sure Jim thinks highly of Earl, but at the time...

p.s.- Weams, I'm not insinuating that you said they were good friends, just pointing out the obvious human aspect of interpersonal relationships.

17 hours ago, weams said:

I am quite certain that if Trumbo is not an O it will be because the Orioles won't spend the money. 

I hope so, the only things I want the O's to spend any more money on this off-season is a 1yr pitcher from whoever is left by around ST, and Manny. I want all of our money going to Manny. Even if we fall off by the deadline this year and trade a bunch of player, I still want Manny here to rebuild. 

8 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I feel like I've typed this out a few times now, but here we go again. Dexter went into 2016 FA looking to cash in, a lot of people had him pegged at 4/60. Unfortunately for Dexter, and thanks to the draft pick attached to him, no one came close. Baltimore gave him his best multi year offer, I believe it was something like 3/33 off the top of my head. It was at this point that Dexter asked for a one year deal, I never saw it in print that he asked for an opt out after year 1 in his 3 year, just that he wanted a one year deal. He wanted to play 1 more year on a show me deal and then try to cash in again next offseason. Understandably the Orioles said absolutely not. Who throws away a first round draft pick on a guy who is only going to be around for 1 year? It was at this point that Theo and Dex started talking and he ended up coming back to the Cubs on a one year deal. He drove through the night to meet with Jed and Theo in Arizona at spring training to do the paper work and get introduced to the team. Anything beyond this is speculation. Saying he agreed to a 3 year deal and backed out is speculation, which even Duquette said was not true.

The other thing to mention is that the Orioles MO regarding free agency for a number of years has been to wait until the dust settles and find bargains.  As you alluded to last year the market was soft for Fowler and this year he was a marquee free agent.  Fowler had a typical decent but not great year and is now a year older.  Personally I don't get why the market was so different last year versus this year.  

Fowler would had been a very valuable player for the Orioles.  His skill set would have made the Orioles a more well rounded team.  However, give Fowler credit.  He bet on himself and got a ring and a lot more money as a result.  

Fowler wasn't going to work out after last offseason's circus. Just reality; I certainly wouldn't even answer the phone if I'm the Orioles.

The Os used to have a bad reputation but since Buck came, all you hear from players is good things about the organization. Fowler is flaky, good luck to him as the Cubs/Cards switch will not be as easy as he thinks he is, but good for him getting the deal he wanted. I don't think he will be as happy as he thinks he will be.

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

What exactly did he do? I'd love to hear it.

What purpose does it do?

Team has a basic agreement with him and between the time they had that and his formal signature, he backed out of the deal and ended up with the Cubs. He decided he didn't like giving up his opt out. At the same time, he was having a private conversation with Jones talking about the opportunity to play together.

6 hours ago, incubus said:

That doesn't mean they were good friends. You work with/under someone for man years and you can grow to respect them. In hindsight, I'm sure Jim thinks highly of Earl, but at the time...

p.s.- Weams, I'm not insinuating that you said they were good friends, just pointing out the obvious human aspect of interpersonal relationships.

Together, they were eleven foot nine. 

6 hours ago, incubus said:

It was a love/hate relationship, that in the final analysis was very beneficial to both parties' success for nearly 20 years.   It's not at all surprising that Palmer would be very emotional upon learning of Weaver's death.    Heck, I was, and I'd never met the man.

6 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

What exactly did he do? I'd love to hear it.

It really depends on who's side of the story you believe. Per the Os they had an "agreement" in place. Per his agent they did not. i think the truth probably lies somewhere in between. I know this. Where there's smoke there's usually fire and this kind of story isn't reported during a typical free agent pursuit / signing. 

17 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

What's Duquette going to say? It was another glitch in what was already a pretty disappointing offseason. And too many outlets reported an agreement between the two for there not to be some truth to it. So, your logic is just as much speculation as the other side. 

Archived