Breaking: DD has interest in Hammel

Rene88

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im still trying to figure out, why the Cubs turned him lose and brought him out, his contract wasn't that big, compared to what SP gets.

No room.

1) Arrieta

2) Lester

3) Hendricks

4) Lackey

5) Montgomery

Also, they're getting close to that tax threshold.  That said, they are looking for a sixth starter on the cheap.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wasn't Hammel a guy we were happy to get rid of his contract 2 years ago?  So why would we want another potential Gallardo, Miley and Ubaldo type situation?

We can probably bring in a guy like Norris or Feldman on a milb deal with a ST invite.  

Not sure what you mean here.  His contract with us certainly wasn't an overpay.  We didn't trade him or release him.  His contract ran out and he left via free agency three years ago.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im still trying to figure out, why the Cubs turned him lose and brought him out, his contract wasn't that big, compared to what SP gets.

I know they got some positive press out of cutting him loose but I still would have seriously considered picking up the option and flipping him.

9 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Not sure what you mean here.  His contract with us certainly wasn't an overpay.  We didn't trade him or release him.  His contract ran out and he left via free agency three years ago.

I was happy to see him gone after 2013.  In June and July of that year we went 1-9 in games he started.  That pretty much summed up that year.  

21 hours ago, weams said:

Club option was valued at $10MM. 

So they passed on him for one year / 8 million essentially. 

They didn't pass on him. They have Mike Montgomery who is ready to be the #5, second they asked Hammel if he wanted to stay this year or if he wanted to opt into free agency. He chose to opt into free agency because it was a weak market and he thought he'd stand a better chance to get paid this year than next.

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know they got some positive press out of cutting him loose but I still would have seriously considered picking up the option and flipping him.

Theo said that if the option was picked up it was going to be as a pitcher for the Chicago Cubs. They weren't going to pick up his option just to send him packing for another team.

20 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

No room.

1) Arrieta

2) Lester

3) Hendricks

4) Lackey

5) Montgomery

Also, they're getting close to that tax threshold.  That said, they are looking for a sixth starter on the cheap.

I don't know about cheap, Ross is probably going to run about 10M annually if they end up hopefully landing him.

2 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Theo said that if the option was picked up it was going to be as a pitcher for the Chicago Cubs. They weren't going to pick up his option just to send him packing for another team.

Yes I know.

I guess the cat is out of the bag, I'm not Theo Epstein.

Archived