Fangraphs projects the O's rotation at 26th in MLB

Frobby

11 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Check out the box scores from Sept 16 and 21 and back to me.

Seriously?

You are going to use a game in which Ubaldo gave up four runs to help prove your point?

Yes, after giving up four runs Ubaldo did pitch five scoreless.

And yes, he pitched 5 scoreless his next start, before giving up two earned runs in the sixth and ultimately being tagged with the loss.

Does that seem remotely like one of the best in the business?  Does that seem ace like?

Evidently the best you can do is cherry pick two starts in which he went a combined 12.1 innings and gave up 6 ER.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me an optimist, but I expect the following: 

Chris Tillman - 4.00 ERA, 1.300 WHIP in 180 innings

Kevin Gausman - 3.60 ERA, 1.260 WHIP in 180 innings

Dylan Bundy - 4.00 ERA, 1.300 WHIP in 145 innings

Wade Miley - 4.40 ERA, 1.350 WHIP in 170 innings

As for Jimenez, he's the crap shoot. I'd like to think he'll be better than last year, but he'll probably be close to the same with half the season just awful and the other half not too shabby. The other issue is the guys filling in for the other starts. I have zero confidence in Wright, Wilson, Verrett, McFarland, etc. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seriously?

You are going to use a game in which Ubaldo gave up four runs to help prove your point?

Yes, after giving up four runs Ubaldo did pitch five scoreless.

And yes, he pitched 5 scoreless his next start, before giving up two earned runs in the sixth and ultimately being tagged with the loss.

Does that seem remotely like one of the best in the business?  Does that seem ace like?

Evidently the best you can do is cherry pick two starts in which he went a combined 12.1 innings and gave up 6 ER.

I'm not the one who said he couldn't put up a double digit scoreless streak.  You did and were wrong.  I also never said he was "remotely like one of the best in the business." 

And his runs were unearned against Boston (they scored on Brach).  He went 11.1 innings without giving a run.  

So, no, the best that I can come up with is not a cherry-picked 12.1 innings and 6 earned runs.  He finished the regular season with 18 innings of 0 earned runs.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201609210.shtml

First good catch on the Boston game, not sure how I misread that.

I stand by the statement that he isn't a guy who is going to go out there and give you a double digit scoreless streak.

Wright went 7.1 scoreless his first major league start.  Is he a guy who is going to go out there and give you 7 scoreless?

I watched Ubaldo pitch down the stretch and while he was better he wasn't anything close to an ace.

I'm more optimistic about the rotation than I've been in awhile, but the truth is that everything is still a question mark. I have no problem with that ranking. There's nobody in the rotation that you can say with any surety will be anywhere near as good as we hope.

Archived