State of the Orioles Outfield, before and after acquiring Seth Smith

FanSince88

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Get both.  Kim, Jones, Granderson, Smith, Jennings, Mancini, five infielders, two catchers.

Smith/Jennings in LF, Granderson in RF, Kim at DH with Mancini backing up... I can go with that.

Whichever way we go, it seems like the Orioles are best suited to sign two more position players - one starter and one bench player.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:19 PM, FanSince88 said:

Before:

DumpsterFire2.jpg

(no disrespect to Adam Jones, I love the guy but he isn't getting any younger and can't defend the entire outfield himself)

After

philippe_petit_tightrope_mid-xlarge.jpg

Well, the FA list is looking much thinner, as I've noticed these guys all have serious physical question marks. that could come back to haunt us.

Brandon Moss-During the off-season, he had surgery to correct a hip labral tear and gluteal tear, affecting his performance in 2015. (Wiki)

Desmond Jennings-On May 3, 2015, Jennings was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to left knee bursitis.  (Wiki).  Plus, this may have created a lasting psychological problem, while batting, (On May 7, 2013, Jennings hit a line drive which hit Toronto Blue Jays pitcher J. A. Happ in the head. Happ needed to be carried off the field on a stretcher after an 11 minute delay. Jennings was visibly shaken by the accident but remained in the game. (Wiki)

Franklin Gutierrez-On February 13, 2014, he informed the team that he would not be able to play during the 2014 season due to the multiple conditions ankylosing spondylitis and irritable bowel syndrome.

Austin Jackson-On August 25th, 2016 White Sox GM Rick Hahn told the media that Jackson would miss the rest of the season after being out since June 10th. He had surgery to repair a medical meniscus tear in his left knee. 

We've gone 'round and 'round on this problem topic, so, what's the answer?  Michael Bourn, Peter Bourjos, Bautista, Coco Crisp?  We know having Kim and Trumbo in the outfield, at all, is a recipe for disaster.  Rickard is servicable, but can he be an everyday player?  It seems nobody on here thinks much of Dariel Alvarez.  It seems to me, he should make the roster by default.  He's proven he can get to and catch the ball and also throw runners out.  Who knows he can't hit ML pitching?  Maybe this Aneury Tavarez kid will turn out to be the next Kenny Lofton.  The other teams know of our desperation and will force us to over-pay in any trade talks.  Curtis Granderson?  Sure, he would help, but, for one year and after giving up some good, young talent to get him?  Man, this is maddening!  Angel Pagan, who on paper, looks like the Messiah, why no media talk of us being "interested" in him?

Rickard can't hit RHP and Smith can't hit LHP... Seems like a great platoon in LF to me.  Sign the switch-hitting Pagan for RF and giddy up.  Gimme Kim/Mancini at DH... and you've got some matchup options, too.  (To wit: Against a LH SP you start Rickard and Mancini and you've got Smith and Kim ready to pinch hit against the RH RP.  Opposite against a RH SP.)

The only other potential signing is the last bullpen piece and some AAA veteran backups (maybe some competition for Flash).

I know I'm not fooling anyone, though... The entire key to this season is Bundy and Gausman both pitching like TOR pitchers.  That said, adding Pagan makes the offense and defense complete... and if you're into the softer side he brings a lengthy championship pedigree and knows how to win.  (IMO, the best alternative is Trumbo, who is worse at everything except hitting home runs... and costs us more money, locks in more years, and we don't get the pick.)

They have to get an everyday RFer, imo. Move Kim to DH with Mancini and platoon Smith and Rickard in LF. The pickings are getting pretty slim, but DD has shown a penchant for pulling Rabbits out of the hat. Will have to wait and see on this years Rabbit.

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Michael Saunders signs with Phillies.  One less outfielder off the board.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/phillies-sign-michael-saunders.html

Solid signing - I don't feel bad about the Orioles passing on him anymore because Seth Smith is a comparable player.

I hope his health holds up for the Phillies' sake, his LH bat really helps form their lineup.  He's projected to hit 5th behind Maikel Franco.

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Michael Saunders signs with Phillies.  One less outfielder off the board.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/phillies-sign-michael-saunders.html

lol it's the NL East.  They're more likely to be in the playoff hunt than to be sellers at the deadline.  Good signing for the Phillies.  There's no such thing as a bad one year deal.  

Archived