Will Rickard beat out Kim for the starting job in left field?

wildcard

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/13/2017 at 8:06 AM, wildcard said:

“I don’t think Joey’s reached his potential yet,” Anderson said. “He was a good example of how hard it is to hit in the major leagues. It seemed like he got two hits every single day from opening day through April and May. He was sort of a breakthrough player in spring training and continued that in the season. Then you look up and he’s struggling to hit .250, .260. But he’s reliable, so he has a spot."

Would most people have the same impression as Brady?  Do you think Rickard started strong and then faded.   I know I did, but the numbers don't back it up.  He did not have a strong May as Brady stated.  Actually, Rickard hit very well only to April 21.   Then he faded through June 9.  Then he picked it up the rest of the way to his last game on July 20.  So he had a strong start, poor middle, but ended well before he was sidelined.  This, of course is a small sample size, but overall, I think that he has some potential.

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Adam Jones when he puts the first pitch in play -

• Career: .364 BA / .382 OBP / .626 SLG / 1.008 OPS
  • 2016: .302 BA / .321 OBP / .621 SLG / .954 OPS

I wish he would hit the first pitch more often.

Of course that's all game theory.  If he swung more at the first pitch it would almost certainly be at less hittable pitches and his numbers would go down.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:06 AM, Frobby said:

Hopefully, Rickard can play above replacement level this year.   I have some optimism about that.  

I think he'll be better.  His defense (or at least metrics) almost has to be better, and I think he has more OBP skills than he showed.  But I also thought he was slugging over his head last year, too.

8 minutes ago, harp6 said:

Would most people have the same impression as Brady?  Do you think Rickard started strong and then faded.   I know I did, but the numbers don't back it up.  He did not have a strong May as Brady stated.  Actually, Rickard hit very well only to April 21.   Then he faded through June 9.  Then he picked it up the rest of the way to his last game on July 20.  So he had a strong start, poor middle, but ended well before he was sidelined.  This, of course is a small sample size, but overall, I think that he has some potential.

He started playing better because Buck started platooning him. 

Rickard's a bit of a Rorschach test, different people seem to see different things in the guy.    One thing I liked, he never seemed intimidated out there.   Offensively, he seemed much more capable than a guy like David Lough.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rickard's a bit of a Rorschach test, different people seem to see different things in the guy.    One thing I liked, he never seemed intimidated out there.   Offensively, he seemed much more capable than a guy like David Lough.    

If only he had David Lough's glove.  Lough is a +18 OFer, while last year Rickard's SSS UZR/150 was -19.  Hopefully Rickard's numbers were an anomaly, otherwise he'd have to out-hit Lough by about 150 or 200 points of OPS to be as valuable.

3 hours ago, Babypowder said:

And if his offense declines for a fifth straight year will you then become concerned?

Then you just don't resign him after next season. All good. Either way! And of course if his power continues, it's all good anyway!

I'm waiting to see if Rickard even makes the club before concerning myself with his beating out Kim or anyone else. He has three options and it's hard to imagine the Orioles not trying to find a way to keep another Rule 5 guy (they hate passing up on what amounts to a free player). So Rickard will have to prove himself in spring training or he'll be playing in Norfolk.

I'm still advocating Kim as a lefty DH and acquiring another corner outfielder who improves the outfield defense.

5 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

I'm waiting to see if Rickard even makes the club before concerning myself with his beating out Kim or anyone else. He has three options and it's hard to imagine the Orioles not trying to find a way to keep another Rule 5 guy (they hate passing up on what amounts to a free player). So Rickard will have to prove himself in spring training or he'll be playing in Norfolk.

I'm still advocating Kim as a lefty DH and acquiring another corner outfielder who improves the outfield defense.

I'm on this page. Though I am fine with Kim in the field for the first six innings.

38 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I wonder if it's possible that Kim is working hard in the off-season to improve as an outfielder.

From what I saw he's a much better baserunner than Rickard.

You're kind of out there on an island on that one.   BB-ref, fangraphs and BP all have Rickard as the better baserunner.    And he is obviously much faster.  

Archived