Ross Signs 1 Year / $6M Deal with Rangers

wildbillhiccup

Mods feel free to move this one, but why weren't we in on this one? $6M for a potential #1 starting pitcher? Well worth the price for the lottery ticket. 

Tyson Ross - S - Padres

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the one-year contract that Tyson Ross agreed to with the Rangers is for $6 million plus incentives.

It's reportedly a very similar offer to what the Cubs came to the table with, but in the end Ross chose to pitch in Texas. He joins Cole Hamels and Yu Darvish atop what is beginning to look like a very formidable rotation as the Rangers look to compete for a division title in the American League West. There's still a chance that he won't be ready for the start of the regular season as he continues to recover from thoracic outlet surgery that he underwent in October.

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Mods feel free to move this one, but why weren't we in on this one? $6M for a potential #1 starting pitcher? Well worth the price for the lottery ticket. 

Tyson Ross - S - Padres

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the one-year contract that Tyson Ross agreed to with the Rangers is for $6 million plus incentives.

It's reportedly a very similar offer to what the Cubs came to the table with, but in the end Ross chose to pitch in Texas. He joins Cole Hamels and Yu Darvish atop what is beginning to look like a very formidable rotation as the Rangers look to compete for a division title in the American League West. There's still a chance that he won't be ready for the start of the regular season as he continues to recover from thoracic outlet surgery that he underwent in October.

Because it isn't as easy as calling up his agent and saying "We will also pay him 6M to pitch for us.". 

I'm an Oriole fan but if I were also a pitcher wanting a one year make good contract I wouldn't sign to pitch for the O's.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because it isn't as easy as calling up his agent and saying "We will also pay him 6M to pitch for us.". 

I'm an Oriole fan but if I were also a pitcher wanting a one year make good contract I wouldn't sign to pitch for the O's.

Would you choose Texas?  Over Chicago?

He chose the team closest to the place he'll be doing his physical therapy and check ups. In that regard it's a good decision, as far as future contract goes, not so much. Summer in Arlington in the AL vs Summer in Wrigley in the NL. Last year Wrigley was overwhelmingly a pitcher's park.

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

He chose the team closest to the place he'll be doing his physical therapy and check ups. In that regard it's a good decision, as far as future contract goes, not so much. Summer in Arlington in the AL vs Summer in Wrigley in the NL. Last year Wrigley was overwhelmingly a pitcher's park.

Do GMs still hand out contracts based on Wins and ERA?

Archived