Lineup assuming Trumbo is final move of offseason?

ChuckS

I, personally, really hope for someone in addition to Trumbo if he is indeed the 'big' move left. 

We can assume that there's one more regular player on tap for the Orioles whether at RF or DH. I hope the Birds find some other solution to lead off against LHP, however. I'm not comfortable with Rickard in that role (I'm fine with him platooning with Kim or Smith, but don't want him counted on atop the order). If nothing else, I'd like the team to add a Desmond Jennings or someone to at least provide some depth and/or competition there. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

OK so, by The Book:

- the highest OBP guy bats first, power insignificant.  Hyun-Soo Kim bats leadoff vs RHP.

- the best hitter on the team with power bats fourth.  That would be Machado.

- the next best hitter on the team bats second, more OBP-driven.  Hello Seth Smith.

- the #5 hitter holds the advantage in singles, doubles, triples, and avoiding outs, but not home runs.  We'll go with Chris Davis' career averages over Mark Trumbo.

- the #3 hitter is next, and is good for home runs.  Trumbo c'mon down.

- #6 should be the best remaining base stealer.  We don't really have any but Adam Jones can swipe a bag if he has to.

- #7-9 should be the singles hitters.  Um... well, they aren't.  But we'll put them in descending order of career OPS vs RHP.

All told, by The Book, here's what the lineup looks like vs RHP:

1. L Hyun-Soo Kim (LF)
  2. L Seth Smith (RF)
  3. R Mark Trumbo (DH)
  4. R Manny Machado (3B)
  5. L Chris Davis (1B)
  6. R Adam Jones (CF)
  7. R Jonathan Schoop (2B)
  8. R Wellington Castillo (C)
  9. R J.J. Hardy (SS)

I like Manny  #2 and CD  #4

Manny

Trumbo

Davis

Jones

Smith

Schoop

Castillo

JJ

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

I, personally, really hope for someone in addition to Trumbo if he is indeed the 'big' move left. 

We can assume that there's one more regular player on tap for the Orioles whether at RF or DH. I hope the Birds find some other solution to lead off against LHP, however. I'm not comfortable with Rickard in that role (I'm fine with him platooning with Kim or Smith, but don't want him counted on atop the order). If nothing else, I'd like the team to add a Desmond Jennings or someone to at least provide some depth and/or competition there. 

.313 .367 .494 .861

Looks good to me a top the order.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:
.313 .367 .494 .861

Looks good to me a top the order.

Sure...those are good numbers in 90 plate appearances, but I'm not confident enough run with results of 90 plate appearances without a bit of additional insurance.

39 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Sure...those are good numbers in 90 plate appearances, but I'm not confident enough run with results of 90 plate appearances without a bit of additional insurance.

I think Joey would do fine as a RH platoon. Good plate discipline Good OBP and good speed makes him a natural Lead off guy.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is because he increased his FB rate and the overall quality of his contact.

^ ^ ^

And this is why I think he can come close to his 2016 season again (in a suitable ballpark).  He changed his launch angle and it really helped.

Archived