I think this is how it shakes out.

From everything i have read i think it shakes out like this

#1 Tampa - Posey

#2 Bucs - Beckham

#3 KC - Matusz/Crow

#4 B-more Alvarez

Pitt takes Beckham b/c he is considered the #1 prospect and wont cost as much. People say they arent afraid to spend but i believe they take Beckham b/c they can justify it by saying to there fans they got there #1 guy. I think money def will play into it. Pitt did just hold there draft meeting in of all places Georgia, Beckhams home state. I think Posey is pretty much a given. I think Tampa has been locked in on him for a while. I think with Gordon in KC they take the best picher on the board Matusz. I think they will def consider Crow with him being a home town kid. In the end i think we end up with the #1 player on our board. Pedro Alvarez. If it plays out like this i will probally be happier than last year landing Weiters. Then in 2nd hopefully the Hewitt kid from Conn or maybe we get really lucky and Hosmer or Scheppers falls. Im probally dreaming on those three.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1 Tampa - Posey

#2 Bucs - Beckham

#3 KC - Matusz/Crow

#4 B-more Alvarez

Pitt takes Beckham b/c he is considered the #1 prospect and wont cost as much. People say they arent afraid to spend but i believe they take Beckham b/c they can justify it by saying to there fans they got there #1 guy. I think money def will play into it. Pitt did just hold there draft meeting in of all places Georgia, Beckhams home state. I think Posey is pretty much a given. I think Tampa has been locked in on him for a while. I think with Gordon in KC they take the best picher on the board Matusz. I think they will def consider Crow with him being a home town kid. In the end i think we end up with the #1 player on our board. Pedro Alvarez. If it plays out like this i will probally be happier than last year landing Weiters. Then in 2nd hopefully the Hewitt kid from Conn or maybe we get really lucky and Hosmer or Scheppers falls. Im probally dreaming on those three.

I really hope that you are right, but I don't think you will be. I think Pitt takes Alvarez and KC takes Beckham.

I don't think there is any chance Alvarez drops.

Honestly though, I'm not worried about who is available to us. I'd love any of Beckham, Alvarez, Smoak, or Matusz. Not terribly interested in G Beckham or Posey, although my guess is those two round out the "six" that Jordan has it narrowed down to.

I really hope that you are right, but I don't think you will be. I think Pitt takes Alvarez and KC takes Beckham.

I think this is right. Alvarez is the top talent in the draft and would be in line with the rest of their "high ceiling" MiL talent, while Beckham would be coming along a little later. PIT could throw together a playoff team by 2011/12.

I just looked up some of last years mock drafts. The only pick everyone had correct was #1 David Price. None of the mock drafts had Moustakas even in the top 6 and he went 2nd to the Royals. All of them had Porcello and Detwiler going in the top 5 and they didn't. My point is nobody knows for sure who is going where or when.

So Alvarez or T. Beckham could land at #4:clap3::)

#1 Tampa - Posey

#2 Bucs - Beckham

#3 KC - Matusz/Crow

#4 B-more Alvarez

I wish you were right, but a couple holes in that theory. TBeckham is looking for TOP DOLLAR. He was on XM the other day and the big reason he said he's been refining his game and working hard, was to "get paid" not to help his team. He didn't seem too interested in the state playoffs compared to what his stats were and his projections for himself this season. So if PIT was trying to save a buck, they won't do it with that guy. I want to believe you are right on Posey, it makes a lot of sense for them, but if not him it is Alvarez. If Posey is still on the board at #3, I would expect KC to take a long look at him. PIT is hung up on either Alvarez or Matusz depending on who you believe. I'm hoping its Matusz but if Pedro is on the board I think that is their man. KC is in full on lets compete now mode, so they are thinking college, that being said, Posey makes plenty of sense for them, as does Alvarez if he slips twice, Smoak also makes sense here, and if they are thinking pitching, I could see them taking Matusz, although Crow has dropped himself to the bottom of the top 10 if not out of it. At #4 we are prisoner of the other 3 teams. We want guys that other teams want too, so it really depends on how they have Alvarez, Smoak, GBeckham, TBeckham, Posey, and Matusz ranked versus each other. Yes I left Hosmer out, I think he is going to slide more than people think because of silly contract demands. The funny thing is Pedro is going to be in the same ballpark and no one thinks that is too crazy for him. HS v College for you.

I think it goes:

1.Posey

2.Alvarez

3.Smoak

4.TBeckham

5.Matusz

The funny thing is Pedro is going to be in the same ballpark and no one thinks that is too crazy for him. HS v College for you.

Eh. Proven elite college bat that projects to play four ML positions vs. HS bat projecting to play the least useful position.

Eh. Proven elite college bat that projects to play four ML positions vs. HS bat projecting to play the least useful position.

Yeah, that's what I mean though, Alvarez is a proven elite college bat, Hosmer is an unproven elite HS bat. College players it's ok to take more risk on, but with HS kids, none of them should be getting this crazy money. There should be a salary cap on first contracts for HS players.

I just looked up some of last years mock drafts. The only pick everyone had correct was #1 David Price. None of the mock drafts had Moustakas even in the top 6 and he went 2nd to the Royals. All of them had Porcello and Detwiler going in the top 5 and they didn't. My point is nobody knows for sure who is going where or when.

So Alvarez or T. Beckham could land at #4:clap3::)

Good post... anything can happen. :)

I wish you were right, but a couple holes in that theory. TBeckham is looking for TOP DOLLAR. He was on XM the other day and the big reason he said he's been refining his game and working hard, was to "get paid" not to help his team. He didn't seem too interested in the state playoffs compared to what his stats were and his projections for himself this season. So if PIT was trying to save a buck, they won't do it with that guy. I want to believe you are right on Posey, it makes a lot of sense for them, but if not him it is Alvarez. If Posey is still on the board at #3, I would expect KC to take a long look at him. PIT is hung up on either Alvarez or Matusz depending on who you believe. I'm hoping its Matusz but if Pedro is on the board I think that is their man. KC is in full on lets compete now mode, so they are thinking college, that being said, Posey makes plenty of sense for them, as does Alvarez if he slips twice, Smoak also makes sense here, and if they are thinking pitching, I could see them taking Matusz, although Crow has dropped himself to the bottom of the top 10 if not out of it. At #4 we are prisoner of the other 3 teams. We want guys that other teams want too, so it really depends on how they have Alvarez, Smoak, GBeckham, TBeckham, Posey, and Matusz ranked versus each other. Yes I left Hosmer out, I think he is going to slide more than people think because of silly contract demands. The funny thing is Pedro is going to be in the same ballpark and no one thinks that is too crazy for him. HS v College for you.

I think it goes:

1.Posey

2.Alvarez

3.Smoak

4.TBeckham

5.Matusz

Switch Smoak and Matusz and I think this will happen as long as Tampa takes Posey over Beckham.

Yeah, that's what I mean though, Alvarez is a proven elite college bat, Hosmer is an unproven elite HS bat. College players it's ok to take more risk on, but with HS kids, none of them should be getting this crazy money. There should be a salary cap on first contracts for HS players.

If you've read my report on the research I've done for the past 20 years of the draft's 1st round, you'll recall that collegians fared only 5% better than HS'ers. Hitters fared far better than pitchers, roughly 50% to 25%.

Why limit what a HS'er can make vs. a Collegian, when the percentages show only a slight difference? Besides, it's downright un-American. :D

Archived