If you could trade Mancini, what type of player would you want in exchange?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he could play third why would he have been at first all these years?

Think people.

Heck, maybe he can catch or play short?

My thought process leads me to believe that the Orioles thought he was a better bet to stick at first base PRIOR to the Multi-Year Contract that one Chris Davis Signed.  My thought process leads me to believe this is why he BUMPED Walker from First Base to the Outfield.  My thought process also lead me to thinking that with them resigning one Mark Trumbo this winter adds to the First Base Depth at the MLB Level that was not apparent during the2016 campaign.  Which now leads me to the thought process that with the limited Options Mancini has will net him time in the Outfield during ST Games to see if there is any potential for that move on a full times basis.  That leads me to the thought process that if he cannot make the move to the outfield and past the Buck Showalter eye test that he will get moved at the trade deadline as he would have no place within this organization.  If he CAN past th eye test for Buck he will become an outfielder for the Orioles and Walker and Alvarez will be traded at the deadline.

Now my head hurts with all this thinking:o

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

My thought process leads me to believe that the Orioles thought he was a better bet to stick at first base PRIOR to the Multi-Year Contract that one Chris Davis Signed.  My thought process leads me to believe this is why he BUMPED Walker from First Base to the Outfield.  My thought process also lead me to thinking that with them resigning one Mark Trumbo this winter adds to the First Base Depth at the MLB Level that was not apparent during the2016 campaign.  Which now leads me to the thought process that with the limited Options Mancini has will net him time in the Outfield during ST Games to see if there is any potential for that move on a full times basis.  That leads me to the thought process that if he cannot make the move to the outfield and past the Buck Showalter eye test that he will get moved at the trade deadline as he would have no place within this organization.  If he CAN past th eye test for Buck he will become an outfielder for the Orioles and Walker and Alvarez will be traded at the deadline.

Now my head hurts with all this thinking:o

He played first base at Notre Dame.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

No..No..No on trading Mancini. This kid can rake! Let's give him an OF glove and see what happens. Could he play 3B? Over the next two years we have holes to fill. I want this kid in our lineup!

By all accounts, the only thing he might be able to play is first base. That's all.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

OK, Mancini's blocked.   Assume we could trade him for a player of equal value.     Would you prefer to get:

- A back-up outfielder who has done OK in the majors and has several years of service time remaining?

- A back-up infielder of the type described above?

- A more or less major league-ready minor league version of the above, with maybe starting player upside?

- A younger minor league version of one of the first two who doesn't need to be on the 40-man yet?

- A decent but not great established relief pitcher?

- A major league ready (or close) minor league starting pitcher who has back of rotation potential?

- A younger minor league pitcher with more upside but more risk?

I think these are the realistic options.    Which type of player would you select?

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

- A more or less major league-ready minor league version of the above, with maybe starting player upside?

I think trading Trey to Cleveland, for this guy, would be most beneficial to both clubs, later this season, next season and beyond.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=656185#/career/R/hitting/2016/ALL

17 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

But when will he get the chance here? I like Mancini. But he can't develop as a part time DH.

Agreed. He has no position. Davis is going nowhere. Trumbo probably isn't going anywhere. One could get hurt, certainly, but that's about all Mancini has right now.

On 2/11/2017 at 5:07 PM, Frobby said:

OK, Mancini's blocked.   Assume we could trade him for a player of equal value.     Would you prefer to get:

- A back-up outfielder who has done OK in the majors and has several years of service time remaining?

- A back-up infielder of the type described above?

- A younger minor league version of one of the first two who doesn't need to be on the 40-man yet?

- A decent but not great established relief pitcher?

- A major league ready (or close) minor league starting pitcher who has back of rotation potential?

- A younger minor league pitcher with more upside but more risk?

I think these are the realistic options.    Which type of player would you select?

I would want a reliable starting pitcher.  Mancini is going to hit so I think we should get a lot more than a backup player or unproven prospect.

Realistically (I don't think Mancini is highly valued by ML GM's), I'd shoot for an A/AA level OF'er under 22 yo, with plus speed, plus defense, and with some projectability as a descent average/OBP hitter. Find an organization that is starved for power but has a cache of speedy OF'ers

22 hours ago, ELMERO said:

I think trading Trey to Cleveland, for this guy, would be most beneficial to both clubs, later this season, next season and beyond.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=656185#/career/R/hitting/2016/ALL

That would be a great addition to the O's, not sure why Cleveland would do it

On 2/12/2017 at 3:02 PM, ELMERO said:

I like it.   Santana is a FA after 2017.   So the Indians might be looking for a cheaper solution.  They have Naquin  in CF who is a 1st rounder.   It would be a power for speed trade.  I just might work.

Archived