Some in organization want to convert Daniel Alvarez to a pitcher

Dark Helmet

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snide, sarcastic response:  If his walk rate as a P is as low as it is at the plate, he'll be a great pitcher!

Serious discussion: if true, I think it is clear that he is not seriously being considered as a piece of the 35+ man 2017 Oriole team (the initial 25 man roster and the dozen or so other guys who start in the minors but who are expected to be counted on at so.e point in the season ).  If that's the case, it's probably in his best interest to give this a try.

He only has two options and he'd take up a 40-man roster spot the next two years. Might not be a great time to experiment at the detriment to the club. If he actually has any promise as a pitcher and if we could make another team see that maybe we could trade him for another non-prospect with a tiny chance of becoming something someday that has a shorter timeline? 

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm intrigued by the idea.   However, I'm not sure if a player his age has ever made the transition.    Also, there is certainly some doubt that just because Alvarez has a great arm that he could be a ML caliber pitcher.    And thirdly, Alvarez is this close to the majors.   I doubt he wants to go back to the drawing board at this point.    Even though many of us question his ML future as an outfielder, it only takes a hot spring and/or a hot start at Norfolk to get us, and maybe even Dan and Buck, to rethink that he might be able to help the big league team in even a limited role.

It'd be a difficult choice for him to make. But if there are people in the organization that are saying it'd be a good idea, and Buck himself isn't against it... says a lot about how the organization as a whole views his future as a position player.

26 minutes ago, oriole said:

He only has two options and he'd take up a 40-man roster spot the next two years. Might not be a great time to experiment at the detriment to the club. If he actually has any promise as a pitcher and if we could make another team see that maybe we could trade him for another non-prospect with a tiny chance of becoming something someday that has a shorter timeline? 

You think someone would claim him if the O's moved him off the 40 man?

IIRC, he declined the opportunity to try pitching in Sarasota this off-season because he wanted to play winter ball as an outfielder. If he isn't all for making the switch, it won't matter how many people in the organization think he should try it. Perhaps he thinks another team would give him more of an opportunity to play outfield at the major league level. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think someone would claim him if the O's moved him off the 40 man?

Nope. I don't. He would be a minor league free agent in 2 years I think but I guess with some roster management if he does pass waivers now (I would be extremely surprised if he didn't) and shows some promise as a pitcher in the next couple years then you could add him to the 40-man again before he comes a free agent in a couple years and start the optioning process over again. 

Archived