Should We Trade Davis?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Even with the down year, Davis was a top third first baseman.

Eighth best in baseball among primary 1B according to BBR... and the 73rd best position player overall.

Also the second best position player on the Orioles behind Manny Machado (third: Jonathan Schoop).

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

if his thumb was an issue in 2016... why did he hit .196 in 2014?

Maybe he just isn't a very good hitter, maybe he shouldn't have been gifted 161 million dollars

Honestly, do you EVER have anything positive or optimistic to say?    Or is life just one long death spiral to you?

Nobody's making excuses for Davis's 2014 season, including himself.     He's said his thumb was bothering him last year, and frankly, it was pretty obvious that it was.     So we're hoping he'll be healthier in 2017, and look more like he looked in 2013 and 2015.   Is that a crime?

40 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

if his thumb was an issue in 2016... why did he hit .196 in 2014?

Maybe he just isn't a very good hitter, maybe he shouldn't have been gifted 161 million dollars

He was worth his contract last season.  On a playoff team, not a last place team.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, do you EVER have anything positive or optimistic to say?    Or is life just one long death spiral to you?

Nobody's making excuses for Davis's 2014 season, including himself.     He's said his thumb was bothering him last year, and frankly, it was pretty obvious that it was.     So we're hoping he'll be healthier in 2017, and look more like he looked in 2013 and 2015.   Is that a crime?

Anything but fire and brimstone is a crime to webbrick.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think his contract makes him untradeable, and he'll get more untradeable the longer the contract goes, since the more productive years should be the early ones.     I'm just hoping he can have a couple years of high level production.   His thumb was an issue last year and I think he'll have a better season in 2017, not that 2016 was that bad.

It was and is a bad deal. But nothing the FO can do now. Angelos probably wouldn't allow a trade anyway. 

14 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Do you really believe an injured thumb led to his setting the all-time record for called third strikes?

Do you know how hard it is to swing a bat with a dislocated thumb?  Do you know how hard it is to swing a bat with a thumb that is still healing from being dislocated?  I think he was very tentative in swinging a lot of the time.  Should he have rested until it was healed?  Maybe.   

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think his contract makes him untradeable, and he'll get more untradeable the longer the contract goes, since the more productive years should be the early ones.     I'm just hoping he can have a couple years of high level production.   His thumb was an issue last year and I think he'll have a better season in 2017, not that 2016 was that bad.

I 2nd this. There's no point even discussing it or coming up with hypothetical situations because it's not going to happen. If the Os fall out of contention they're much more likely to find a taker for Trumbo than Davis.

17 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I know he has a terrible contract, but should we keep him around? Do we need him to be competitive? Or should we take almost anything if you could get it in a salary dump? (not that I think anyone would trade for him)

Trade him if you can find a taker.  

I would be happy to trade Chris Davis for a bag of balls. Between Davis, Trumbo, and Mancini, three is a crowd, and Mancini is the only good value. Unfortunately, we would like need to eat something like $100M to do it. The Tigers ate $30M of the Fielder contract, and that was when Fielder was at the top of his game (although they did get an excellent player back). I doubt we get anyone as good as Kinsler, and I doubt we pay as little as $30M. 

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would be happy to trade Chris Davis for a bag of balls. Between Davis, Trumbo, and Mancini, three is a crowd, and Mancini is the only good value. Unfortunately, we would like need to eat something like $100M to do it. The Tigers ate $30M of the Fielder contract, and that was when Fielder was at the top of his game (although they did get an excellent player back). I doubt we get anyone as good as Kinsler, and I doubt we pay as little as $30M. 

Saying the Tigers traded Fielder "at the top of his game" is a bit of an overstatement.    Fielder posted an .819 OPS and was worth 2.3 fWAR, 1.9 rWAR the year he was traded.   His HR total that year was the lowest he'd had in a full season.   

Archived