Tillman is Back

backwardsk

14 hours ago, scOtt said:

IANAD! But I think it's to let the shot take effect. It is just a shot after all. Needle in the shoulder.

Thanks. That seems to be the consensus of opinion and what made intuitive sense to me. Some of the things the O's said about a projected date  for returning that was set when he had the injection sounded like "typical timetable" pronouncements you hear after an injury or surgery. It seems that the reality is that medical science doesn't  know whether PRP works or, in any given situation, how long it will take. That leads me to believe that the most likely case is that sometime between now and 4/9, they'll have a reasonably good idea whether he will need surgery..

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

My one concern in terms of a side effect with this situation is if Gausman cannot come back until late April (as opposed to April 9th, which is currently the best-case scenario), and Dylan Bundy's starts and innings.

Last year, Bundy had numerous outings (both out of the bullpen and starting) in which he was dominant for 3-5 innings. He seemed to have trouble late in the season, when his overall innings started to rise.

While the off-days in April help a lot, I was hoping that we could have the option of babying Bundy a little more early in the season, and perhaps skip a start of his and/or have him pitch on 6 days' rest instead of 5 a couple of times until late April-early May.

Tillman's injury reminds me somewhat of the situation that we had in 2011, when we originally had 6 starters and our 7th starter (Zach Britton) would likely start the season at AAA-Norfolk in order to give the Orioles an extra year in terms of his free agency and his service time.

Well, 2 of those originally penciled-in starting pitchers went down with injuries. We were saving up for a rainy day with Britton's plan ...... but then, it started raining. Similarly, now any notions of giving Bundy some extra rest early in the season is probably out.

o

Showalter checked on Chris Tillman again today to make sure there were no shoulder issues after yesterday’s game of catch.

“I caught him on a back field, Field 2, throwing a ball to home plate,” Showalter said. “I said, ‘I caught you,’ and he goes, ‘No, I was way down here.’”

Tillman lowered his arm slot to show that he wasn’t technically throwing.

“I said, ‘No. Anything that you have to move your arm forward on is a no-no.’ “

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/showalter-on-team-getting-back-together.html

So maybe this has already been discussed, and if so, my apologies.  But I just read this article about how platement rich plasma (PRP) injections are being used to heal partially torn ligaments:

https://verizon.yahoo.com/sports/news/how-baseball-players-are-trying-stem-cells-to-avoid-tommy-john-162916970.html

So of course, that makes me wonder if Tillman's injury is more than just the inflammation that they've publicly acknowledged.  In the shoulder area, my first thought would be a partially torn labrum (if something was torn).  I guess it could also be a muscle or tendon of some sort.  Sure does make one wonder though.  The possibilities are definitely most concerning.  I guess we'll see how he does when he's cleared to pitch, but I'm worried.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Frobby said:

Tillman feels pretty good after throwing off a flat mound yesterday.   Plan (subject to change) is half-mound tomorrow, full mound on Sunday.   http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/03/tillman-says-flat-mound-session-went-well.html

"pretty good" doesnt make me jump for joy.  In Buck speak does that mean Tillman felt just ok?  

On 2/16/2017 at 11:52 AM, RZNJ said:

I was against an extension before this happened but it just reinforces my opinion.    If Tillman loses anything off his fastball he becomes 2016 Gallardo.  Hopefully, he can get through this season.   Let someone else sign the time bomb that is his right shoulder after that.

I agree. Maybe even just the trade deadline. 15-20 starts and then if we're in it we could go out and make a move. The 10 day DL might be a good way to skip him a start every month or so. 

On 3/2/2017 at 10:25 AM, terps19 said:

"pretty good" doesnt make me jump for joy.  In Buck speak does that mean Tillman felt just ok?  

How do they have to describe the experience to make it sound more positive than they already did?

If only they would have said the ball looked good coming out of his hand.

12 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

How do they have to describe the experience to make it sound more positive than they already did?

"Ready to go for Opening Day" would be ideal. "Pretty Good" is how I describe myself at work on a Thursday. 

34 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

Ball coming out of his hand is SO 2016.

This year it's all about "presentation".

Archived