Fangraphs: Nationals were unwise to sign Wieters

FanSince88

18 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

I guarantee you that's what Boras said.  He probably threatened to "hold out" until mid-season to sign unless Castillo's deal was significantly beat.  Whether or not he and Wieters were willing to actually do that is another story, but apparently the Nats believed his threats.  Not sure which would have been more humiliating for Boras  -- having to wait until mid-season to get his client signed, or signing his client for only slightly more, the same, or maybe even less than Castillo.  Of course, now they get to save face.  

I always find it so entertaining that so many people on this message board are so confident that they know what Boras is thinking. Or that they think Boras high jacks the process every time. So fascinating...

Boras is one of the top agents in all of sports, the world around, how do you think he got there?

22 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I always find it so entertaining that so many people on this message board are so confident that they know what Boras is thinking. Or that they think Boras high jacks the process every time. So fascinating...

Boras is one of the top agents in all of sports, the world around, how do you think he got there?

This article is a good starting point to understand how Boras works.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/no-one-expected-a-stephen-strasburg-extension-then-scott-boras-made-a-call/2016/05/12/0e874fec-1865-11e6-9e16-2e5a123aac62_story.html?utm_term=.3fb488b05334

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't know why you think there were no other teams in on Wieters.   There were rumors about several teams having interest.    I doubt the Nats bid against themselves.    

Yes, and the O's did not bid against themselves for Chris Davis last year. Bidding against yourself is not the same as another team being interested. The Nats have done this in the past, with Werth, for instance.

4 hours ago, Larry18 said:

So it's a bad thing for Boras' clients that he has built good working relationships with buyers of his client's services? I don't understand your point.

So what Scott Boras is able to open doors that others can't? That is why his clients hire him. People like Matt Wieters hire Boras because he can make those types of calls and get them the most money. There is nothing shady or dishonest about it. I just don't understand why so many Baltimore fans feel this way about Boras. Is it sour grapes, because in the past our ownership wouldn't pony up the cash for some of Boras' clients?

There were some people on here last year (and earlier this off-season) who were ranting and raving how Boras did Wieters wrong by having him accept the QO in 2016 (probably some of the same people who were saying Wieters would never accept because Boras was his agent, but I digress). Those people would argue that WIeters would have been better off taking a 3/30 type deal anywhere that would have Wieters. Now here sit, Wieters ends up getting the equivalent of 3/37, and he got to stay in the Baltimore/Washington metro the whole time - and probably doesn't have to move from his home of the past several years.

He's not right 100% of the time, but Boras does just fine for his clients. Why do you think so many big names sign with him?

I don't see why anyone would think this is a bad signing for the Nationals. While they didn't exactly need him, once Wieters' price came down to a level with which they were comfortable it made perfect sense. While I was glad to see the Orioles move on, Matt is still better than the catchers the Nats had. It's not a long-term commitment (one year if he has a good enough season to opt out, which would be a great thing for the Nationals in 2017). I just don't see any downside. Now they can look at moving one of their other catchers (probably Norris) for some relief help or something (maybe Norris and a prospect to the A's for Doolittle?). We'll see.

11 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

And why would Matt have had to wait until mid season? That's only for folks that have picks attached. Which Wieters definitely did not. 

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scott-borass-increasingly-popular-play-call-the-end-around/

" Boras’ new strategy seems to be a jet sweep around savvy, information-rich front offices — which understand better than ever the current and future value of players — and to appeal directly to the owners who are either emotionally invested and/or willing to act irrationally. "

Archived