Do the O's have 5 high ceiling prospects in camp?

wildcard

In spite of having one the worst minor league systems in the majors, the O's appear to be opening the spring training schedule with 5 interesting and possibly high ceiling prospects in camp.

1) Chance Sisco -  (22) Is a Top 100 prospect by several ranking systems.  Though he will begin the year at AAA, we may see him in the majors this year.

2) Gabriel Ynoa - (24) Just amazing that Dan acquired this guy for cash.   All reports from ST are that he is impressive.  He has some Major League experience and a full year under his belt at AAA.   He will start the year at AAA but could be the first starter called up when needed.

3) Jesus Liranzo - (22) This guy is the talk of early camp.  Clear delivery with a ball the gets on hitters quickly as Caleb Joseph stated.  Liranzo may begin at AA but he is moving quickly through he O's system and  could be in the majors this year.

4) Trey Mancini - (25) Some may argue about his ceiling but it appears Mancini is going to hit.  Its questionable if there is a place for this on the  25 man roster but he has been told "if you hit, we will find a place for you".  I don't know if that will be with the O's or not but he looks like a talented hitter from reports.

5) Anthony Santander - (22) Is already 10th on the O's Top 30 prospect list and he has yet to play a game the O's or play above A ball.  A right shoulder injury makes it questionable has to whether he starts the year on the DL.   However he is already hitting both right-handed and left-handed.  When he is healthy the O's probably have to make space for him on the 25 man roster as a Rule 5 guy.

I think its very encouraging to see this much young talent that is knocking of the door for the O's in ST.   40% has been acquired by Dan over the off season.  Spring Training has to play out to see if the shine stays on these guys but isn't that what spring baseball is all about?

Depends how you define high ceiling, I suppose.    To me, high ceiling means someone who may be capable of becoming an all-star.     I don't think any of the five meet that definition.     But if you mean someone who might be capable of holding down a major league job for several years, then I'd put them in that group, even though none of them is a sure thing to do so.

I didn't mean all 5 would be All-Stars.   I do think the position players could turn into everyday players, Ynoa could become a starter in the rotation and Liranzo could be a dependable reliever. All are knocking on the door to the majors at this point.   That is pretty amazing considering the O's minor league system is ranked 25th.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I didn't mean all 5 would be All-Stars.   I do think the position players could turn into everyday players, Ynoa could become a starter in the rotation and Liranzo could be a dependable reliever. All are knocking on the door to the majors at this point.   That is pretty amazing considering the O's minor league system is ranked 25th.

Let's be clear on one thing: Santander is only "knocking on the door to the majors" because he was a Rule 5 pick.     Otherwise, he has no business being in the majors this year.     And you have to question how high his ceiling really is if the Indians didn't see fit to protect him and nobody else even bothered to choose him in the Rule 5 draft until quite late in that draft.    As to Ynoa, same point -- if his ceiling was that high, the Mets wouldn't have traded him for cash.    They did it because he wasn't going to stick on their 40-man roster.    I'm not dismissing either one's chances of becoming a decent major league player, but I wouldn't say either has a very high ceiling, and Santander probably isn't anywhere near ready to help a major league club.   

MLB-ready prospects, yes. High ceiling? No. Cisco seems like the only one. Hard to believe any of the others are more than 1-WAR type guys. Ynoa looks like a Tyler Wilson clone. We know what the organization think of Mancini. We know what CLE think of Santander. Liranzo is interesting.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

No it is not really amazing. at all.  Sisco is the only Oriole in most top 100 prospect list and he is typically in the bottom half.  There are 30 teams.  That means on average a team has 3 players in the top 100.

Ynoa may end up being a solid pitcher, but it would mean the Mets really screwed up giving him away for next to nothing.

Santander may end up being a solid player, but it would mean the the Indians really screwed up in not protecting him from the rule V draft.  The Orioles have been very active in the rule V draft under Duquette and the best player they have gotten out of it so far is Ryan Flaherty.

Liranzo may end up being a valuable addition to the bullpen, but saying someone who has thrown 18 inning above low A is knocking on the door seems to be a stretch. 

Mancini is going to be 25 years old in a few week.  His stats at Norfolk were not great and has no where to play with the Orioles unless Trumbo or Davis get hurt.  

The Orioles have some prospects so does every other team.  

The Indians probably didn't think any team would take Santander coming out of A ball after undergoing shoulder surgery.   He has shown power from both sides the plate.  It will not be a surprise if the O's DL him and bring him back later in the season.

The Mets have one of the strongest starting staffs in baseball and probably aren't that interested is developing a #4 starter.   The O's need at #4 starter of the future after Gausman, Bundy and Tillman.

Buck seems to think Liranzo will be the majors later this year.

Mancini numbers are darn good if Harbor Park is subtracted.  Park adjusted he is a .300 hitter in the minor with a High OBP and good power.  

It's taken a lot of work, but IMO, the organization's farm system has gone from being really bad,to mediocre but respectable.

None of the guys in spring training or anywhere have the ceiling that the top prospects / farm systems do however, evidenced by Sisco being the 50th-ish best prospect in baseball with no one else in the top 100 conversation.

24 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

If Ynoa can end up doing what Miguel Gonzales did for the O's, that's as good or better than being a "high ceiling prospect", imo.  

Depends on whether the high ceiling prospect actually approaches his ceiling.    

Don't misunderstand me, I'm happy to have Ynoa and I hope he performs well for us.    I'd say his chances of becoming a decent 4th/5th starter are a bit under 50/50.   I don't consider that a high ceiling, but it's worth having him.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Santander was left unprotected because he played in A ball and was having labrum surgery not because the Indians didn't think he wasn't worth protecting.  They didn't think anyone would select him and keep him all year.  Pretty sure they will be mighty unhappy if that happens.

According to Santander, it was merely a bone spur, not a torn labrum.  http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/early-notes-on-hardy-santander-travel-roster-and-wieters.html.   That's good news.    

Archived