Christian Walker Claimed by Atlanta

George Zuverink

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What are these?  The ST numbers for all the former Orioles with Atlanta?

The Braves prospects in the Baseball America top 100 prospect list.

They are not copying the O's, they are building the farm.  I'm sure they are not intentionally targeting former Orioles.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It's always interesting to hear the little negative things the Orioles can never say when the guy is still in the organization.   As soon as he leaves, someone feeds Roch the line that the O's thought Walker played 1B "small".    He is on the short side but does that mean he can't stretch to get throws or that he has limited range or both?

I always felt that way about Pearce too. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Ha, yeah I agree. I would have absolutely punted Ondrusek before Walker, as I've said before. It's not like there's a huge difference, but one of them does have SOME upside and at least can't hurt us (bc he'd only be up due to injury) while the other ranks up there as one of Duquette's more bizarre fixations. 

I think Davis, Trumbo and Mancini would have to go down before Walker got the call.

Although I don't think this is a big issue either way, I just don't see how Walker would help this team now or in the future.   Ondrusek wasn't very good last year and he was a strange move by Duquette, but he does throw 93-95 with sink and has gotten left-handers out as well as right-handers when he's on.

Ondrusek very well may not help the team, but he is right-handed relief depth. Would I have cared if he were DFA'd instead of Walker, nope, but I'm also not concerned over letting Walker go. Walker is a AAAA right-handed 1B/DH and scary LFer with below average bat speed. Shake a minor league tree and ten Walker's will drop out and be available.

Now maybe the same thing can be said about Ondrusek, but I can see why the Orioles choose him over Walker. Basically I don't see a scenario barring a plane crash where Walker is promoted to Baltimore this year. I do however could see if Ondrusek is pitching well in Norfolk and there's a need that he could come up and help this team.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Although I don't think this is a big issue either way, I just don't see how Walker would help this team now or in the future.   Ondrusek wasn't very good last year and he was a strange move by Duquette, but he does throw 93-95 with sink and has gotten left-handers out as well as right-handers when he's on.

Ondrusek very well may not help the team, but he is right-handed relief depth. Would I have cared if he were DFA'd instead of Walker, nope, but I'm also not concerned over letting Walker go. Walker is a AAAA right-handed 1B/DH and scary LFer with below average bat speed. Shake a minor league tree and ten Walker's will drop out and be available.

Now maybe the same thing can be said about Ondrusek, but I can see why the Orioles choose him over Walker. Basically I don't see a scenario barring a plane crash where Walker is promoted to Baltimore this year. I do however could see if Ondrusek is pitching well in Norfolk and there's a need that he could come up and help this team.

Didn't Walker end up at semi-pro ball for a spell, after the last time the Orioles released him?

His chances are playing in the majors are very good.

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Didn't Walker end up at semi-pro ball for a spell, after the last time the Orioles released him?

His chances are playing in the majors are very good.

The O's never previously released Walker. 

Archived