Three GM questions

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You may be right, but other than the money, I have no idea why a guy who has spent his life in baseball operations would want to spend significant chunks of time overseeing the other operations of the organization.    It seems a lot less fun.

In this organization he has to answer to PA above and Buck below. That won't always be the case in other organizations.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

In this organization he has to answer to PA above and Buck below. That won't always be the case in other organizations.

He'll always answer to the owner.   I agree Buck has more influence than some managers.   But his relationship with Dan has always seemed mutually respectful.  

Just now, Frobby said:

He'll always answer to the owner.   I agree Buck has more influence than some managers.   But his relationship with Dan has always seemed mutually respectful.  

Many owners give the GM freer reign than PA does. He took this job that nobody else wanted to rehabilitate himself. He's done that and now he probably wants to move on to something that gives him more authority.

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Many owners give the GM freer reign than PA does. He took this job that nobody else wanted to rehabilitate himself. He's done that and now he probably wants to move on to something that gives him more authority.

I wonder if John will be a different owner for Dan to work under and whether that would be more enticing than the current arrangement. 

On 2/28/2017 at 8:31 PM, Frobby said:

Peter Angelos holds the CEO title. John Angelos' title is Executive Vice President.   I don't see Duquette being President if that implies he's senior to John.

John could move to Vice Chairman and Dan could be President.  Its really most about the money.   If Dan gets the raise is wants I think he stays.   If not he will look for a better offer.

On 3/1/2017 at 6:09 PM, El Gordo said:

It's not the title he wants it's the power. He won't get that here.

I don't understand why he wouldn't just want power over all baseball operations. He really wants to sit around and discuss marketing campaigns, gate receipts and TV rights? 

3 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I don't understand why he wouldn't just want power over all baseball operations. He really wants to sit around and discuss marketing campaigns, gate receipts and TV rights? 

Who knows, but he currently doesn't have power over all baseball operations

44 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Who knows, but he currently doesn't have power over all baseball operations

I would love to see them give him that power/title, and a nice big raise and let him take the Orioles to the promised land as an organization. He has broad organizational skills as well, having organized the league in Israel, etc. I couldn't think of a better Prez of Baseball Ops than DD. 

24 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I would love to see them give him that power/title, and a nice big raise and let him take the Orioles to the promised land as an organization. He has broad organizational skills as well, having organized the league in Israel, etc. I couldn't think of a better Prez of Baseball Ops than DD. 

I agree but it wan't happen as long as PA is around,

Archived