Strong Dominican presence in O's Camp

wildcard

40 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

There was one season where our starting five was from five different countries.  I definitely remember it being Cabrera, Bedard, and Bruce Chen (panama).  It may have also included Rodrigo Lopez and Jeremy Guthrie.

That may have been the group, yeah.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, backwardsk said:

There was one season where our starting five was from five different countries.  I definitely remember it being Cabrera, Bedard, and Bruce Chen (panama).  It may have also included Rodrigo Lopez and Jeremy Guthrie.

You got four out of five. It was Cabrera (DR), Bedard (Canada), Chen (Panama), and Lopez (Mexico), and the lone American was Kris Benson. That was the 2006 season-opening rotation.

6 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

You got four out of five. It was Cabrera (DR), Bedard (Canada), Chen (Panama), and Lopez (Mexico), and the lone American was Kris Benson. That was the 2006 season-opening rotation.

I think 2005 was the year I had in mind, because I knew at one point the O's have NO Americans in the rotation.

In '05, John Maine and Hayden Penn did each make a handful of starts, but the bulk of the games were between...

Cabrera (DR)

Bedard (Canada)

Chen (Panama)

Lopez (Mexico)

Ponson (Aruba)

20 hours ago, wildcard said:

One possible answer is the Dominican may get signed at 16.  Minor league players of that  age are protected for 5 years. So at 21/22 they have to be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.  At 6 years they are minor league FA.    Maybe Dan makes sure these kind of players are scouted.  Maybe he see them as partly developed and inexpensive.   And maybe the O's scout in  the Dominican is respected for his opinion of who has talent.

I don't know that any of that is true but its a guess.

This part is probably correct. Relatively young Dominican players may be over represented in the Rule 5 draft because they are signed, on average, far younger than domestic players. 

Interesting, however, that the Rule 5 picks that have stuck with the O's under DD tend to be domestic players. 

On 3/3/2017 at 11:20 AM, weams said:

Andy MacPhail convinced Peter Angelos that not only was Dominican Republic signings at 16 a scam for the teams, but a third world slavery auction.  When Peter passes on, this can be discussed. 

When PGA passes, many things may change.  Not all for the better. And I am not a PGA fan. 

Archived