Pedro back. (Will he opt out?)

oriolesacox

Manager Buck Showalter suggested to Alvarez last September that he could make himself more marketable as a major leaguer by trying the outfield, and Alvarez agreed.

“I think that the fact that it was brought up to me showed a desire to have me around, and I appreciated that conversation last year. And, in the same token, it was coming from a good place in his heart, looking out for my career,” Alvarez said.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/03/14/spring-training-primer-alvarez-ready-right-hardy-back-gausman-wants-pitch-deeper/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I saw the title Pedro is back, I thought maybe Pedro Martinez had come out of retirement to solidify our rotation.  :P

I'm not sure why the O's want another power hitter that can't field his position very well.  I thought they were pretty well stocked with those guys, especially in the outfield.  Not sure how this is addressing our poor outfield defense.

It would have been nice if the O's had signed Alvarez instead of Trumbo.  It would have saved $30+ mill  and left an opening for Mancini.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, OriolesMagic83 said:

It would have been nice if the O's had signed Alvarez instead of Trumbo.  It would have saved $30+ mill  and left an opening for Mancini.

This is my sentiment as well.  I would ;have welcomed the Alvarez/Mancini combo in place of Trumbo.  I have nothing against Trumbo, but I really like Alvarez, I think I might like Mancini, and that money could've been better utilized.  I guess DD was never a swaps trader.  Really glad to have Pedro back.

• 1 month later...

o

(MAY 15th)

Pedro Alvarez just hit a 2-RBI double in the 3rd inning.

However, he is also batting .183 in 160 plate appearances so far for AAA-Norfolk, with 4 HR's and 5 Doubles.

o

Archived