Player Report: Robbie Ross

136-0424C1Ross.standalone.prod_affiliate.79.jpg

Ross is fairly small for a pitcher at 5' 11 - 185, but the lefty can bring it, pushing his way into first round consideration.

From BA -- "He sits at 90-92 mph and touched 94 with his fastball, and his secondary pitches and command are just as impressive. He shows a hard slider and nice feel for a changeup, and he pounds the strike zone. The only knock on Ross is that he's just 6 feet tall, but he generates his quality stuff via athleticism and arm speed, rather than effort."

He outdueled fellow top round lefties Nick Moronde and Brett DeVall earlier this season, pitching brilliantly in each game. Against Maronde in particular he struck out 14 and walked none.

He has the goods, if not the stature... but throughout baseball sub-6' tall hurlers are defying the notion that they are lesser pitchers. I for one would love to have Ross.

The OP answers these questions. :o

Just asking your opinion, I've seen those same adjectives thrown around about some players and then later you'll read that they are good but not quite plus.

Nice that he has 3 pitches, but to read that, they make it sound like he's got 3 great pitches which would make you think he would be a top 10 candidate.

Just asking your opinion, I've seen those same adjectives thrown around about some players and then later you'll read that they are good but not quite plus.

Nice that he has 3 pitches, but to read that, they make it sound like he's got 3 great pitches which would make you think he would be a top 10 candidate.

I see, cool... He has a very good FB, very good slider and solid change to go with good command and poise. This kid is the real deal. Were he physically more projectable, say 6' 3... then he'd might be in the discussion to be a top 10 guy. :)

I see, cool... He has a very good FB, very good slider and solid change to go with good command and poise. This kid is the real deal. Were he physically more projectable, say 6' 3... then he'd might be in the discussion to be a top 10 guy. :)

Did you have him in your mock? I didn't see him on there. Maybe a round 2 guy if he slips?

Did you have him in your mock? I didn't see him on there. Maybe a round 2 guy if he slips?

He is #23 on my personal list, but for some reason overlooked him in the mock... thanks, fixed that.

I hope he falls to 50, that would be sweet. :)

He is #23 on my personal list, but for some reason overlooked him in the mock... thanks, fixed that.

I hope he falls to 50, that would be sweet. :)

No prob, I guess I just tipped my hand that I have your page bookmarked huh?

Yeah, he sounds like a great candidate for 1st round talent in the 2nd if he makes it, and I haven't read too much about him so maybe he slides. I'll cross some fingers.

Interesting question for you...If Scheppers falls to the 2nd, and so does Ross, which do you take? Do you think Scheppers falls into the 3rd because of the injury? I know we like him, we drafted him once, but I haven't heard anything about the 2nd opinion he got yet.

No prob, I guess I just tipped my hand that I have your page bookmarked huh?

Yeah, he sounds like a great candidate for 1st round talent in the 2nd if he makes it, and I haven't read too much about him so maybe he slides. I'll cross some fingers.

Interesting question for you...If Scheppers falls to the 2nd, and so does Ross, which do you take? Do you think Scheppers falls into the 3rd because of the injury? I know we like him, we drafted him once, but I haven't heard anything about the 2nd opinion he got yet.

Hmmmm... hard to say. If the prognosis comes back with good news, in that he'll likely be back at 100%, then I take him over Ross. Again, we know nada at this juncture, so let's hope word comes before the draft. :)

Archived