Ongoing Lineup Thread, 2017

OFFNY

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Because he is healthy. That's my guess. It was a minor injury, from reports I have read.
He's the starting catcher. As such, he is supposed to be the catcher who gives the team the best chance to win.

Easy to say now after a huge game.  Seemed like a risk yesterday.  Our 3 C's this year have provided the highest C OPS in the AL.  I really like what Castillo brings.  That's why I want to keep him healthy.  Plus Joseph has shown that he's better when he's playing more than once a week.  

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I do.  He makes Schoop and Machado better.  I'm not being Bordick-esque but you can tell he's a calming influence on them.  

Plus what are we going to do?  Put Manny at SS and Flaherty/? at 3rd.  For this season, I think that weakens two positions defensively.  SS and 3B .  With all the shifting that we do and is done in baseball, I think the current set up best suits Machado.  

We're going to have to address SS/3B in the offseason.  Unless there is an injury this year I don't know who you go out and replace Hardy with.  Empty the system for Todd "Mark Reynolds" Frazier?  

Fair enough.  I obviously disagree.  I think that while he still makes some of the plays we expect from him, overall his defense has noticeably slipped.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Easy to say now after a huge game.  Seemed like a risk yesterday.  Our 3 C's this year have provided the highest C OPS in the AL.  I really like what Castillo brings.  That's why I want to keep him healthy.  Plus Joseph has shown that he's better when he's playing more than once a week.  

My point was that I don't think they are going to coddle him.

It's good to see Caleb picking it up a little with the stick. Hard for me to imagine that his offensive woes over the past year have not been at least partly related to the injury.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Fair enough.  I obviously disagree.  I think that while he still makes some of the plays we expect from him, overall his defense has noticeably slipped.

On paper would Flaherty at 3rd and Machado at SS be better?  Yes, but Buck doesn't like to do drastic moves.  It's good and it's bad.  Oddly enough Flaherty is in his 6th season but isn't a "vet" like Hardy.

Here's a question, who are some established players, without injury, that Buck has decreased their playing time due to lack of performance?  

Mcclouth?  Reimold?  I can't really think of anyone. Kim?  lol 

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not as good as he used to be, still a bit above average, IMO.   +1 UZR, 0.4 dWAR, after being negative the first couple of weeks.  

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

BALTIMORE  O RIOLES )))))) (vs. TIGERS, 5/18) ))))

Seth Smith - RF

Trey Mancini - LF

Adam Jones - CF

Chris Davis - 1B

Mark Trumbo - DH

Jonathan Schoop - 2B

Ryan Edward Flaherty - 3B

Caleb Martin Joseph - C

James Jerry Hardy - SS

Dylan Matthew Bundy - RHP (5-1, 2.26 ERA)

OPPOSINPITCHER

Jordan M. Zimmermann - RHP (3-2, 6.28 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

Manny with a day off is interesting.  I wonder if he has an injury of some sort of Buck is affraid he may go after C..B.  Buckner behind the plate after he makes a couple horrible calls.  We all know he will just hope we get them today and not Tigers.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's because he is 67 years old.  We can win with him.  He's still rock solid defensively.  Look at our lineup.  We have a deep lineup.  Machado, Jones and Trumbo have the lowest OPS's of the starters.  We literally have a lineup of guys that have .800+ OPS's all around with a few slumping stars in the .700's.  

JJ Hardy isn't why we're losing games.  This will be his last year with the O's at that price.  Don't we have some insane W/L record with Hardy in the lineup since 2012?

Just watching this series.  Isglesias is the more flashy player, but JJ is more steady.  You never see JJ do anything that isn't fundamentally sound or the right play.   

Surely you're joking. We "can" win with Chris Davis closing, and we have, but it's a miserable option. There are "rock solid" defensive shortstops all over the place, Hardy makes this team worse. He's not as dangerous at bat as Britton is.

The Os need a name change, I like, "The Fighting Oafs". Keeps the "O" and accurately describes the team. 3 outs played into 3 runs for the Os. We are below average athletically everywhere on this day. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I do.  He makes Schoop and Machado better.  I'm not being Bordick-esque but you can tell he's a calming influence on them.  

Plus what are we going to do?  Put Manny at SS and Flaherty/? at 3rd.  For this season, I think that weakens two positions defensively.  SS and 3B .  With all the shifting that we do and is done in baseball, I think the current set up best suits Machado.  

We're going to have to address SS/3B in the offseason.  Unless there is an injury this year I don't know who you go out and replace Hardy with.  Empty the system for Todd "Mark Reynolds" Frazier?  

Hardy does nothing for Machado. I don't understand what that's supposed to mean. Making up value is what homers tend to do, but that's beyond a reach. 

There are zero teams that wish they had Hardy. Being stuck with him forces fans to be creative in their defense of their guy, but he's a guy you hope the opposition is starting. 

3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

My point was that I don't think they are going to coddle him.

It's good to see Caleb picking it up a little with the stick. Hard for me to imagine that his offensive woes over the past year have not been at least partly related to the injury.

Caleb is on a heater, it's been awhile since I could call him Caleb Danger.

Hardy with the first ever batted ball that did not register any recording on the radar gun. I don't envy Buck, it would be nice to move Schoop up, but you need someone with darker skin batting before JJ on hot and sunny days like this, you know the guy isn't going anywhere so you want to protect your base runner from harmful UV rays while Hardy is up. Buck thinks of everything. 

Archived