Dylan Bundy 2017

Frobby

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, George Zuverink said:

Lots of crow being chewed silently?

Sure, I think there is some of that...but that is really not what I am shooting for above.  I am simply stating that it clearly could have gone a different way.  Bundy's health gave the O's reason to consider moving on and they did not.  The season is young and there is a very very long way to go.  It is wise to not get overly excited about the individual performances of the O's "3rd rate" pitching staff.

However, it's worth noting that the O's started the season with a schedule heavy laden with AL East opponents, minus their Ace, a second starting pitcher on the DL and subsequently lost their star closer to the DL.  All of this with their best player, Manny Machado hitting about 60 pounds below his weight.  And yet, on the morning of April 22, 1917, they awake with the best record in all of baseball.

It is a good feeling and still it means practically nothing except that so far, the O's are right in the thick of things in spite of some difficulties.  They also wake up to 3 teams breathing down their neck just in the AL East.  If they sneeze this weekend they will fall out of first.  That my friends is what makes baseball the greatest game on earth.  So, polish off some cliches, sit back and let's enjoy being in the hunt.

1)  This team is really playing within themselves right now.

2)  Gotta play em one at a time.

3)  We both played our best and tonight we came out on top.

It's easy if you try...

o

19 OUTS: 5 Lineouts, 4 Flyouts3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts2 Popouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Thrown Out Stealing

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDYoo))oo (vs. D-RAYS, 4/26) )) [  

IP:;).ll) 6.33

H:)l..).  4 )(2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 1 Single) ll

R:ll)lll) 2

BB:o.ll)2

SO:l)..ll3

Pitches: l)  106 )(66 )Strikes, .40 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 1.650)

2017 WHIP: ll00.949 )  32.67 Innings, 31 H/BB

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)0.228 )  26  for 114   

PITCHES BY INNING

18 .))(91 lStrikes, .)ll9 l))Balls)

10 l))(61..Strikes,  .llll))Balls)

14 .lll(81..Strikes,  lll.l))Balls)

13 .))(91..Strikes,  .).4 )lllBalls)

20 .)ll(11 llStrikes,  )).9  lllBalls)

24 )).l(17 .Strikes,  ll lllllBalls)

71 ..ll(61 lStrikes, ..ll1 llllBalls*

* Bundy recorded 1 out before departing in the 7th inning.

o

On 4/26/2017 at 9:42 PM, OFFNY said:

o

19 OUTS: 5 Lineouts, 4 Flyouts3 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts2 Popouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Thrown Out Stealing

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDYoo))oo (vs. D-RAYS, 4/26) )) [  

IP:;).ll) 6.33

H:)l..).  4 )(2 Home Runs, 1 Double, 1 Single) ll

BB:o.ll)2

SO:l)..ll3

Pitches: l)  106 )(66 )Strikes, .40 )Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 1.650)

2017 WHIP: ll00.949 )  32.67 Innings, 31 H/BB

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)0.228 )  26  for 114   

PITCHES BY INNING

18 .))(91 lStrikes, .)ll9 l))Balls)

10 l))(61..Strikes,  .llll))Balls)

14 .lll(81..Strikes,  lll.l))Balls)

13 .))(91..Strikes,  .).4 )lllBalls)

20 .)ll(11 llStrikes,  )).9  lllBalls)

24 )).l(17 .Strikes,  ll lllllBalls)

71 ..ll(61 lStrikes, ..ll1 llllBalls) *

* Bundy recorded 1 out before departing in the 7th inning.

o

o

Bundy on His Outing, and Reduced Velocity

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/04/dylan-bundy-on-his-outing-and-reduced-velocity-plus-other-quotes.html

o

33 minutes ago, dan-O said:

So let's talk about that velocity last night, eh?

88-90 for the first 4 innings or so, then a jump to 92. Never touched his usual 94 mph. 

After the game, he told Melewski et al both that he's not worried about it and that they (the media) shouldn't worry about it.

In the presser, Buck said he saw the velocity dip and he's keeping an eye on it, but also didn't raise any red flags and mentioned a lack of innings last year. However, if that's the case, why not be more careful with him this year? Why pitch him beyond 100 pitches on mostly regular (rather than extended) rest?

Additionally, Dylan already throws a ton of (really good!) breaking balls per start, and when he doesn't have a good fastball like last night, he's going to throw even more. This is a recipe for disaster, and it's coming. Soon. Ben McDonald style. 

At the moment it seems Buck wants to squeeze as much out of him as he can before he breaks. I'm not sure that's a great plan, but it has resulted in a very good start to the season, so there's that.

There have been a couple of times this year when I would have taken Bundy out a couple of batters before Buck did.   I think this is worth keeping an eye on, but I think your forecast of an imminent disaster is a bit overly dramatic.  

Meanwhile, it's a pleasure watching Bundy pitch.    The batters have absolutely no idea what he's going to throw on any given pitch.  He can throw any pitch in his arsenal for a strike, and isn't reluctant to use any pitch in any count.   I love it.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There have been a couple of times this year when I would have taken Bundy out a couple of batters before Buck did.   I think this is worth keeping an eye on, but I think your forecast of an imminent disaster is a bit overly dramatic.  

Meanwhile, it's a pleasure watching Bundy pitch.    The batters have absolutely no idea what he's going to throw on any given pitch.  He can throw any pitch in his arsenal for a strike, and isn't reluctant to use any pitch in any count.   I love it.

Would you say that there have been a couple of times that Buck has sent Bundy out to start an inning that you wouldn't have? 

Also keep in mind this isn't July, a "couple of times" is 40% of his starts.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would you say that there have been a couple of times that Buck has sent Bundy out to start an inning that you wouldn't have? 

Yes.   This is mostly what I meant.   And we'll see if he does that in 40% of his starts as the season progresses.   I'm not going to try to extrapolate too much out of what has happened in the early going.   Among other things, once Britton returns, Buck will have a bit more flexibility.   

“A quality start is a quality start. I’m not too worried about the numbers. I don’t think you guys need to be worried either. But I’ve been mixing in more two-seamers this year,” he said. “But, overall, I felt good when I left the game, so I’m happy about it.”

Orioles manager Buck Showalter said he’s mindful of Bundy’s drop in velocity, but it also shows the pitcher he has become.

“Sure, I see it. And we talk to him,” Showalter said. “I thought this was one of his better outings, considering. He needed all of his weapons tonight to get through that. Early on, he was really struggling to get the ball where he wanted to get it. It is something you notice, because you have a history of guys. … I like to think he’s pacing himself through this and knows when to go back and get (the better fastball) and when not to. But it’s something we are going to keep an eye on.”

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/04/27/bundys-not-worried-velocity-dip-os-thoughts-crazy-play-oday-rickard-fry/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

o

5 free passes (4 Walks and a Hit Batsman) over 7-PLUS Innings Pitched.

He still managed to keep the Red Sox off of the scoreboard for 7 innings.

He ran into trouble (and some bad defense) in the 8th

21 OUTS: o 9 Groundouts (Including 2 Double Plays), 4 Flyouts, 2 Strikeouts, 2 Popouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Lineout

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDYoo))oo (vs. RED SOX, 5/01) )) [  

IP:;).ll) 7 - PLUS

H:)l..).  5 )(2 Doubles, 3 Singles)

BB:.lll) 4 *

SO:l)..ll2

Pitches: )  111 )(67 )Strikes, .44 )Balls)

2017 ERA: 1.820)

2017 WHIP: )l 1.008 )  39.67 Innings, 40 H/BB

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .225 )  31  for 138  

* Bundy also had 1 Hit Batsman.

PITCHES BY INNING

12 .))(61 .Strikes, .lll6 l))Balls)

19 .)ll(13 llStrikes,  )).6  lllBalls)

19 .lll(14..Strikes,  lll.l))Balls)

91 .))(21..Strikes,  .ll.7 )lllBalls)

13 .)ll(81 llStrikes,  )).5  lllBalls)

13 .)ll(71 llStrikes,  )).6  lllBalls)

14 .)ll(10 llStrikes,  )).4  lllBalls)

12 ..ll(71 lStrikes, ..ll5 llllBalls) *

* Bundy did not record any outs before departing in the 8th inning.

o

On 4/27/2017 at 2:11 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Make that 50%.

This kid is a bad ass. Bottom line. 

At some point we will have to back off him. Not just talking going deep into games but maybe skip him if we get a chance. He is fast becoming one of my favorite players. I love his demeanor. 

Bundy was tremendous. With that being said Buck shouldn't have sent him out in the 8th. Long top of the 7th inning for the O's offense, 5-0 lead, cold night, isn't Bundy on a innings limit? Buck usually tries to get a extra out or 2 or 3 from his starters but really disagree with Buck's decision to do so tonight. 

Hope a reporter will ask Buck about his decision during the post game interview.

Archived