If the decision comes down to taking a pitcher for us at pick #4, whom do you prefer JJ take: Aaron Crow or Brian Matusz?

Both were dominant yesterday. For me its easily Matusz. While Crow has looked better in recent weeks, I take Matusz's consistency, left-handedness, three plus pitches and strikeout totals.

I would go with Matusz

A blurb from baseball america about the first round of regionals:

San Diego beat California 5-0 in the Long Beach regional behind a gem from ace lefthander Brian Matusz, who struck out 10 and walked one in a complete-game, three-hit shutout. BA’s Dave Perkin reports that Matusz held his 89-92 mph fastball deep into the game and showed exceptional command of that pitch and his three plus offspeed offerings. Cal starter Tyson Ross held USD scoreless into the sixth before beginning to tire, allowing one in the sixth and four in the seventh–three of them unearned. Perkin said Ross threw almost exclusively fastballs and sliders, throwing only a handful of changeups and not commanding them well.

Both were dominant yesterday. For me its easily Matusz. While Crow has looked better in recent weeks, I take Matusz's consistency, left-handedness, three plus pitches and strikeout totals.

We agree yet again, what's going on here? :D

I will add that his decision was a bit harder for me than you, but Matusz seems like a lock to pitch at the front of a rotation... whether as a #1, 2 or at worst 3..

Wow, that game summary really makes me intrigued by Matusz. I didn't realize he was a three-pitch pitcher...that makes him a little more "draftable" to me by us.

Of course, he may not be there when we pick anyway...so the point could be moot. I am confident that we will pick the best available player at that slot, and we'll all be pretty happy with it in the long run.

I think I prefer Matusz. He seems to be the complete package and a lefty. He also seems to have less issues with control than Crow. Control is just one of those things I think is difficult to project.

We agree yet again, what's going on here? :D

I will add that his decision was a bit harder for me than you, but Matusz seems like a lock to pitch at the front of a rotation... whether as a #1, 2 or at worst 3..

Matusz for me too, although I was quite impressed with Crow's stuff yesterday. Not just his fastball, but his command of his slider and changeup. Crow throws free and easy, where Matusz continues to land with his front leg a bit stiff. Just a minor correction that will help him stay healthy.

Both pitchers look like they can be front of the rotation starters. I guess I'm still leaning towards Matusz because his secondary pitches are major league caliber right now, but it's much closer for me than it was three weeks ago.

I think I prefer Matusz. He seems to be the complete package and a lefty. He also seems to have less issues with control than Crow. Control is just one of those things I think is difficult to project.

I'm just curious since I see this said at times in regards to Crow's control, but where are the reports that have Crow's control being problematic? He has excellent fastball command, and while the command of his breaking stuff is not up to the level of his fastball command, it still is very solid overall.

His BB/9 this year I believe is below three though I don't have the exact numbers on hand.

I'm just curious since I see this said at times in regards to Crow's control, but where are the reports that have Crow's control being problematic? He has excellent fastball command, and while the command of his breaking stuff is not up to the level of his fastball command, it still is very solid overall.

His BB/9 this year I believe is below three though I don't have the exact numbers on hand.

Just an example...

Lines from Friday:

Matusz -- 9 IP, o ER, 3 H, 10 SO, 1 BB

Crow -- 9 IP, o ER, 3 H, 10 SO, 5 BB

While this is just one example, I believe it's safe to say Matusz's command over his three plus-pitches is more advanced than that of Crow over his arsenal.

Matusz is as polished a college pitcher you are going to see. Crow will need to work on his secondary pitches at the next level. Right now, Crow just blows away college hitters with his fastball. He sprinkles in his slider, curve and changeup and the college hitters look lost because they are trying their best to catch up with the fastball. At the next level, professional ballplayers will be able to hit his fastball. Crow will need to command his secondary pitches much better in the pros or he will get rocked.

The best thing that has happened this week is that Matusz and Crow were "lights out" in their first appearance in the Regionals. Hopefully, the Pirates and Royals took notice. I think one of those teams (if not both) may select Matusz and Crow. There is a very good chance the Royals, at #3, will take the local product Crow. Because of this, Alvarez or T. Beckham may fall to us at #4.

Archived