Time to Call Up Reimold

birdman57

I think Reimold will be promoted at the minor league all-star break to Norfolk. He'll play there until the end of the minor league season, then get a call-up, and be given a legit shot to make the Orioles next spring.

In the meantime, we have an OF who has an .895 OPS at Norfolk, and another OF who has an .888 OPS at Bowie (in addition to Reimold who is at .861). Put one of them in Baltimore while we get Reimold some AAA at bats.

Edit: I didn't realize that the AA all-star break wasn't until mid-July. That's too long to wait. Reimold should move sometime in June.

I agree... knowing Reimold past history of injuries -

2006 - 116 games

2007 - 59 games

I would think the Orioles are going to take the go and slow mode with him, to ensure a future that will see a healthy Reimold for them.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The difference is that you are in effect calling posters on here morons, for only a moron would spew moronic drivel (whatever that is).
That's your inference not my implication. Everyone is capable of "moronic drivel" not just morons. But since moderaters like umpires and popes are infalible, I will refrain from so characterizing peoples post's. I will instead refer to the high incidence of baloney slicing and the gale force bloviating that goes on here with alarming frequency.

He has not been impressive this year. If anything he has declined. My point is that great prospects hit like Wieters. You certainly have to agree Reimold is not in that league. I think if he's going to make it he needs AAA. A truly great prospect like Wieters can be moved quicker.

He has not been impressive this year. If anything he has declined. My point is that great prospects hit like Wieters. You certainly have to agree Reimold is not in that league. I think if he's going to make it he needs AAA. A truly great prospect like Wieters can be moved quicker.
What are you talking about? He's been very impressive this year. He's currently got a .278/.373/.488/.861 8 HR, 26 RBI line and he went .312/.414/.606/1.020, 6 HR, 18 RBI in May.

On top of that, his SO/BB ratio right now is 30/31, he's only struck out in 12.3% of his at bats. Last year those numbers were 47/17 and 23.2%.

He's fixed his biggest problem and continued to hit great and with the same type of power as when he was striking out more often.

I agree he should go to Norfolk before Baltimore, but to say he's regressed is utterly absurd and completely incorrect.

2008 Season

200 at bats

275 avg

8 homers

25 rbi

12 doubles

3 triples

31 walks

28 strikeouts

.859 OPS

2007 Season

186 at bats

306 avg

11 homers

34 rbi

15 doubles

17 walks

47 strikeouts

.929 OPS

Looks like a decline to me.

2008 Season

200 at bats

275 avg

8 homers

25 rbi

12 doubles

3 triples

31 walks

28 strikeouts

.859 OPS

2007 Season

186 at bats

306 avg

11 homers

34 rbi

15 doubles

17 walks

47 strikeouts

.929 OPS

Looks like a decline to me.[/QUOTe]You're clearly looking at the wrong things, and also not accounting at all for the slump he started in.

And you said he hadn't been impressive this year, which is clearly BS. He's stopped striking out. The biggest two knocks on him were health and the strikeouts. He's gotten an A+ in both areas this season.

I am very encouraged with what Reimold has done in the last month. If he continues to do very well for another month (either in Bowie or at Norfolk) I'll say he's having a better season this year than last. Right now it's premature to say that, though I'm very happy with the far lower K rate.

It just doesn't make sense to make him a 25 year old rookie next season - when we're a rebuilding team and have players like Millar and Payton getting major at bats - while Reimold's OPS has been over 1 for the last month plus, and he's got more walks than so's for the season. I'm encouraged that Bowie has used him at CF and LF recently - I take that as a sign that they're getting him ready to play each OF position for Baltimore - sooner rather than later. He can start 5 days a week - alternating between the OF positions and DH, and he can pinch hit. And bring up Tererra, too.

I am very encouraged with what Reimold has done in the last month. If he continues to do very well for another month (either in Bowie or at Norfolk) I'll say he's having a better season this year than last. Right now it's premature to say that, though I'm very happy with the far lower K rate.

Why wait another month? What is the point?

Are you forgetting the AA at bats he had LAST YEAR? There isn't one good reason for leaving him in AA. His OPS is nearing 900 in his 400ish at bats in AA and he is 24 years old...Time to move him up.

Down in avg, down in homers, down in rbi's, down in doubles, down in OPS. He is doing better of late and I hope it continues. I believe he should go to AAA. I don't think he's shown enough for MLB. As for impressive we have a definitional difference. I think Wieters is impressive. I think .330 and 30 homers is impressive for a year. I think .280 and 15-17 homers for a year is average.

Are you forgetting the AA at bats he had LAST YEAR? There isn't one good reason for leaving him in AA. His OPS is nearing 900 in his 400ish at bats in AA and he is 24 years old...Time to move him up.

I think you are misreading Frobby's post. He's not saying to wait a month before moving him up to Norfolk. He's just saying he wants to wait a bit longer before saying he's having a better or worse season than he had last year.

SG, did you read the posts I was responding to? I was not commenting on how long Reimold should stay at Bowie. Just read what I said above: "If he continues to do well for another month (either in Bowie or at Norfolk) I'll say he's having a better season this year than last." How in the world could you interpret that as meaning I think he needs to spend another month at Bowie?

Just roll back a couple of pages and you'll see I said he needs to go to Norfolk some time in the next month. That doesn't mean after a month. It means sometime in June. Whether that's today, next Tuesday, or June 22, I don't know. I don't feel the need to second guess management at that level of detail. Just soon, is all.

SG, did you read the posts I was responding to? I was not commenting on how long Reimold should stay at Bowie. Just read what I said above: "If he continues to do well for another month (either in Bowie or at Norfolk) I'll say he's having a better season this year than last." How in the world could you interpret that as meaning I think he needs to spend another month at Bowie?

Just roll back a couple of pages and you'll see I said he needs to go to Norfolk some time in the next month. That doesn't mean after a month. It means sometime in June. Whether that's today, next Tuesday, or June 22, I don't know. I don't feel the need to second guess management at that level of detail. Just soon, is all.

1000 apologies on my part for not reading everything. My mistake.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread by now (probably several times), but for those looking for an answer to the question, "why haven't the O's promoted Reimold yet," Tony Pente provided it about a week ago in a post on this very topic in the Minor League forum.
This has been mentioned and there is some valid concern there.

However, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be promoted to at least AAA. Even with the issues Tony mentioned, Reimold has had a lot of AA success and since he is old for the league, it is time for him to move up and try to adjust at as higher level.

Archived