Worst Loss

Camden_yardbird

Me and my wife were at the 30-3 Texas game. If that wasn't enough we hung around for the 2nd game in which we got killed again. Our team sucked back then. The Yankee loss was the worst since the 69 Mets WS. We were in first place and blew a 8 run lead. If this happen to the Tigers or White Sox I wouldn't care. But to the MFY in NY. Brothers that one really hurt.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mrbig1 said:

Me and my wife were at the 30-3 Texas game. If that wasn't enough, we hung around for the 2nd game in which we got killed again. Our team sucked back then. The Yankee loss was the worst since the 69 Mets World Series. We were in first place, and blew a 8-run lead. If this happened against the Tigers or White Sox, I wouldn't care. But to the MFY, in New York. Brothers, that one really hurt.

o

For myself, the 1979 Game 7 World Series loss to the Pirates was higher than the regular-season loss to the Yankees on Friday night.

Rich Dauer had hit a solo home run early in the game, and Scott McGregor was cruising until Willie Stargell hit a 2-run home run that was not more than a couple of feet beyond Ken Singleton's leaping grasp in the 6th inning to turn the tide of that game, and eventually give the Pirates that World Series.

Overall, the Orioles blew a 3 games to 1 lead in that series, scoring a total of 2 runs over the final 3 games.

o

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

I would put the 1979 Game 7 World Series loss to the Pirates higher than the regular-season loss to the Yankees on Friday night.

Rich Dauer had hit a solo home run early in the game, and Scott McGregor was cruising until Willie Stargell hit a 2-run home run that was not more than a foot beyond Al Bumbry's leaping grasp in the 6th inning to turn the tide of that game, and eventually give the Pirates that World Series.

o

That was worse than any season loss of memory.  The worst season loss was on October 03, 1982.  So close yet so far away.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198210030.shtml

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

For myself, the 1979 Game 7 World Series loss to the Pirates higher than the regular-season loss to the Yankees on Friday night.

Rich Dauer had hit a solo home run early in the game, and Scott McGregor was cruising until Willie Stargell hit a 2-run home run that was not more than a couple of feet beyond Ken Singleton's leaping grasp in the 6th inning to turn the tide of that game, and eventually give the Pirates that World Series.

Overall, the Orioles blew a 3 games to 1 lead in that series, scoring a total of 2 runs over the final 3 games.

o

Agree, that was a bad one

On 5/1/2017 at 11:14 PM, Frobby said:

This loss was bad, but the team avoided a long hangover.  

o

Yes, they did.

That loss feels like a distant, mildly annoying memory right now, as opposed to the almost intolerable sour taste that I had in my mouth when I left Yankee Stadium that night.

o

On 4/28/2017 at 10:57 PM, Camden_yardbird said:

Tonight- 14-11 to the NYY 

30-3 to TEX

Mothers Day Massacre

Ubaldo serves it up to Encarnacion while Britton warms up.

This one ranks up there and may stick with the team for awhile.

Ouch, Mother's Day Massacre. That one really stung. 30-3 was more funny than upsetting for me. I'd say in the last ten years it goes Ubaldo/EE Homer, MDM, 14-11 Yankee game.

August 6, 1986: The Orioles, challenging for the AL East title, sat in 2nd place with a record of 59-47. They were 2.5 games back and held the second best winning percentage in AL at .537. Earl Weaver had re-taken the helm mid-season in 1985 and was managing the team again in 1986. They hosted the Rangers that night. The Orioles hit two grand slams in the 4th inning - yes, TWO SLAMS IN THE SAME INNING! They stretched their 9-6 lead after 4 innings to 11-6 as the game entered the 8th inning. Ultimately, the Orioles lost that game 13-11, allowing 6 runs in the 8th and 1 run in the 9th.

The Orioles went 14-42 to end that season...a winning percentage of .250. That was the only season Weaver managed a team to a sub .500 record. They finished in last place in the division with a record of 73-89. It was the first season ever that the Baltimore Orioles endured a last place finish. Weaver left again after that season citing lack of discipline on the part of the players.

The World Series and playoff losses were worse but that game in 1986 started an avalanche that ultimately buried the team under 107 losses in 1988.

Archived