Amazing! One wrong move costs Buck

wildcard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

It was obvious not a blowout.  It was a game vs the surging Yankees in Yankee Stadium.

There was a runner on and up 7. Once again there are circumstances here which you fail to address. If Britton is on team Nuno doesn't pitch, end of story.  If you have a pitcher on your team that you are afraid to pitch up 7 then he isn't a major league pitcher. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

So basically you think regardless of lead Buck can't use anyone other than Givens there. And the pen will last if he does that? You keep using those guys in spots like that then they aren't around for the closer games. Once again if Britton is here, Buck doesn't use Nuno. In that scenario he can lay off of one of Givens/O'Day/Brach. 

Buck has been doing the same thing over and over.  He uses his best relievers as needed in  two games and in the third game he uses whoever have not been used two days in the row.  The way Buck rests relievers is not pitching them three days in a row.  He didn't do that last night.  He went to Nuno and it cost him.

Buck has been doing the same thing over and over.  He uses his best relievers as needed in  two games and in the third game he uses whoever have not been used two days in the row.  The way Buck rests relievers is not pitching them three days in a row.  He didn't do that last night.  He went to Nuno and it cost him.

Once again they were up 7 runs. If they are up 4 we don't see Nuno. You want Buck to manage a game without Britton up 7, the same as he would up 3-4 and with Britton. We have no off days for over 2 weeks.   

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would be curious in all of MLB how many teams win from that deficit over the course of an entire season? 

That's a good question. With the specialization of BP now, I'd say it's pretty rare...I assume anyhow.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think you should worry about using those guys with that kind of a lead.   

Then lose.  Its that simple.  The odds of winning gp down vs a powerful offense by using less effective pitchers.  So if you like to lose kind doing it.   A 7 run  lead is not safe in Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium or Camden Yards.   Last year I would have said Rogers Park.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Once again they were up 7 runs. If they are up 4 we don't see Nuno. You want Buck to manage a game without Britton up 7, the same as he would up 3-4 and with Britton. We have no off days for over 2 weeks.   

If Buck does what he normally does they use their best reliever two of three games if needed.  That gives them the best chance to win .667 percent of their games.  That wins a pennant with a decent  offense and defense.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Then lose.  Its that simple.  The odds of winning gp down vs a powerful offense by using less effective pitchers.  So if you like to lose kind doing it.   A 7 run  lead is not safe in Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium or Camden Yards.   Last year I would have said Rogers Park.

I disagree with your opinion.    If a manager can't use the lesser part of his bullpen in a game like that, then his bullpen is in serious trouble.   Nuno has pitched well of late and I have ZERO problem with Buck using him there.   It just didn't work out.     

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Buck is many things, he is not a manager accused of taking a game for granted. If anything he gets criticized for doing the opposite. You continue to not addre the circumstances surrounding this game. 

29 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah, Aquino won't succeed in this division. I always thought he had better stuff. But 88-90 with zero command. How did he take a second start away from Asher is beyond me. It's not like Aquino has been overly impressive in the minors. The only positive I see in him is he's a LHP. A bad one...but LH.

That's pretty unfair. The Orioles were basically out of bullets once Givens, O'day and Brach were used up. Putting a rookie starter in a tie game in Yankees stadium after they just scored nine straight runs is a recipe for disaster. He's not used to warming up as a reliever and his command was just not there at all. At the end of the day, Nuno and Brach get this loss on their shoulders. They were awful. The Yankees were bringing in Chapman and Betances after they tied it and we had a bunch of rookies left. 

I'm not sure Aquino will have long term success in the major leagues or not yet, but last night was no way to judged that.

If Buck does what he normally does they use their best reliever two of three games if needed.  That gives them the best chance to win .667 percent of their games.  That wins a pennant with a decent  offense and defense.

They were up 7 runs and you want him to use his best minus Britton. You said yourself he doesn't use guys 3 days straight. So if today he uses his best then what about Sunday? Once again 17 straight, no off days for awhile. 

30 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Up 7 runs 

No Britton

First game of 17 straight 

THIS. That situation was the perfect situation to use Nuno. He just stunk it up. If we had brought in the big three and used them in a 11-4 game, everyone would be asking why Buck was wasting his good relievers in a game that most teams are going to win 99% of the time. This loss sucked, it sucked bad, but this is is on Nuno and Brach.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

You have to trust Nuno can hold a 7 run lead. If not, he doesn't belong in mlb. That can still be debated however.

Not if you have better choices.  Not when Buck leaves Nuno in with the bases loaded.  So Buck brings in Nuno to face lefty Gardener and maybe Headley.   But with two on why Holiday?  Go to Givens there.

Archived