Amazing! One wrong move costs Buck

wildcard

6 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

All of this aside, Brach still blew the save. It was a communal failure on all levels. No one did their job. No one.

More than anything else, this game should have reminded everyone that NO ONE is Zach Britton. No one. He's the best relief pitcher in baseball, and irreplaceable.

I expect Zach to blow 3+ saves this year.    Like he did in 2015.    

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

This thread is just amazing.  Thankfully, Wildcard put the word "hindsisght" in parenthesis in his opening post.    Yeah, putting Nuno into a game with a 7 run lead made plenty of sense at the time.   You want to save your "A" team relievers for the Ubaldo start the next day.    In HINDSIGHT Buck should have gone to Givens or Hart and used his A relievers and, of course, we wouldnt' have needed them for yesterday's blowout loss.

It made sense at the time.   Story over.    

Also, Wildcard is dead wrong when he says this:

Buck has been Britton, Brach, O"Day and Hart in games where the team is ahead.  He had been using the other relievers in games where the O's were behind or the above pitchers have pitched two days in a row.   Buck took a different path then his normal by using Nuno while the O's were ahead. And it turned out badly.

Let's see.   All games are not created equal.   Wildcard thinks a game with a 7-3 lead, a 3-2 lead, and a 9-1 lead are created equal.    

I think we have seen that when the game is 9-1 vs the Yankees or Boston  the game is not over.  This year the Yankees and Boston have to be treated different from other times when the O's have a big leads. When the O's have them down the O's have to use their best to keep them down.  Otherwise there is a decent chance they come back and beat the O's 14-11.   

43 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

How about placing some of the blame on DD for filling out a pitching staff with non ML talent guys like Nuno, and Acquino. The comeback was a failure of DD's not so deep depth

And they are gone. Two more pitchers will get opportunities to show what they can do.   

If you blame DD for those two pitchers then do you have to give him credit for the other 23?

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am address the circimstances.  Surging team in Yankee Stadium.  That was the circumstances.

I'm also in the minority who was surprised Nuno entered this game. I watched the game up until it was 9-1. Got in the car and radio signal was real choppy. Feed comes back on where I hear KG serving up a HR to Judge to make it 9-4. Moment that happened I had that here we go in Yankee stadium feeling.

Schoop makes it 11-4, when Manny and Trumbo left the bases juiced, I again felt, this could come back to bite the O's. Was all just a hunch. 

Feed goes out again. The moment it comes back on I hear Ellsbury grand slam to right. My first reaction was oh man, O'Day must of had a real poor game. It wasn't until I got back home for the 9th did I realize it was Nuno pitching.

Against the team one game back in the standings, I thought the O's would have put the dagger in the yanks. I'm not a big fan of Nuno, you could say even with a 7 run lead I don't have confidence in him. With Ubaldo going the next day, I thought he would have been saved for Saturday as the mop up man as we all know slim chance Ubaldo pitches well.

It may count as one game, but against a divisional opponent it's nearly 2. (Being up 2 in standings instead of tied.)

I respect everyone's opinions, just my 2 cents. Let's go Miley, let's go O's!

-- Complete separate note, not a big deal but it's saying I'm getting negative review from guest dated on June 25th 2016.

10 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

All of this aside, Brach still blew the save. It was a communal failure on all levels. No one did their job. No one.

More than anything else, this game should have reminded everyone that NO ONE is Zach Britton. No one. He's the best relief pitcher in baseball, and irreplaceable.

o

While I agree with your overall point, Givens and O'Day actually did do their job (O'Day, with a little help from Adam Jones.)

Brad Brach was the major culprit out of the Orioles core relievers, while Nuno and Aquino are/were marginal players in the bullpen.

o

On April 30, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Frobby said:

I expect Zach to blow 3+ saves this year.    Like he did in 2015.    

He'll probably lose a couple, this is very much true. I just feel too many folks on this board think he'd be an easy guy to replace. There's something to be said about maximizing return for him if the O's don't think they could pay him... but replacing him would not be the plug-and-play situation that some people here assume it would be.

20 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

He'll probably lose a couple, this is very much true. I just feel too many folks on this board think he'd be an easy guy to replace. There's something to be said about maximizing return for him if the O's don't think they could pay him... but replacing him would not be the plug-and-play situation that some people here assume it would be.

Definitely not easy, and the main thing is, you are replacing his 70 innings with someone who vacates a 7th/8th inning role and everyone moves up a notch and you're a little less effective at every level.    I happen to think Brach could be a very good closer, but then you open another hole when you move him, etc.    

Archived