Fangraphs: Manny Machado facts

Frobby

1 hour ago, Cumberbundy said:

Manny is the most gifted offensive player the Orioles have had in my 37 years on this planet. 

Well, I'm not so sure about that.    Eddie Murray was pretty gifted, if all we're discussing is offense.    

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Oddly enough I think Eddie is a bit underrated by folks.

He played in a fairly dampened offensive era during his prime.    His 139 OPS+ for the Orioles was only good for an .868 "raw" OPS.   Manny's been at about .868 over the last two seasons and that's only equated to 131 OPS+.   Eddie was in the top 5 in homers five times, without ever hitting more than 33.   Manny hit 35 in 2015 and was 10th, and 37 last year was tied for 9th.    If Eddie were playing in today's environment he'd probably have hit 40 homers several times.    

3 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I miss Eddie so much. I wish he were a part of the team in some fashion.

I wish we had a hitter who had the approach that Eddie did at the plate.  He didn't swing for the moon.  If a sac fly scored a run that is what Eddie did, a single, even a ground out.  He wasn't trying to hit a 700 foot home run or take a called third strike. 

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I wish we had a hitter who had the approach that Eddie did at the plate.  He didn't swing for the moon.  If a sac fly scored a run that is what Eddie did, a single, even a ground out.  He wasn't trying to hit a 700 foot home run or take a called third strike. 

Eddie Murray was a first-ballot Hall of Famer. It's not quite fair to compare many, if any, of the current players on the roster to him.

30 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Eddie Murray was a first-ballot Hall of Famer. It's not quite fair to compare many, if any, of the current players on the roster to him.

I don't mean they have to produce at Eddie Murray levels, but if our hitters could have an approach more like Kim does at the plate.  Hit the ball to the opposite field if that is what the pitcher is giving.  

Or bunt the ball to third base if the shift is on. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

He was the consummate professional at the plate. He's underrated by Baltimore, and most of baseball. 

Archived