But you did not like the Deputy.

o

But he swears it was in self-defense.

o

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two after conclusion of play today.

One after conclusion of play tomorrow. GUARANTEED. There is precisely a 0.0000000000000% chance that the Orioles will defeat the Yankees on Monday, May 29, 2017 at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. It is proven through logical deduction, just as certain as 1+1=2.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I miss the "Throwin' Swannanoan".......  
    • So what do the Rays do?   Spend a lot of money fixing the roof for the few remaining years that ballpark has left?   Or do like the A's and play in a minor league facility until their new ballpark is built? I wonder if they could work out something with the Yankees to play in Steinbrenner Field.   It is in Tampa and one of the nicer spring training facilities on the Gulf Coast.   The Rays train in Port Charlotte which is (50???) miles south and I don't think the facility is nearly as good.   Steinbrenner FIeld seats over 10K, has luxury boxes, and a very accessible location for Tampa area fans.  
    • Javy Baez has been on 5 playoff teams including a World Series winner and an LCS team.  128 postseason plate appearances. Mark Canha has been on 5 playoff teams and has 54 postseason plate appearances. Gio Urshela has been on 4 playoff teams and in an LCS and has 88 postseason plate appearances. Those 3 guys may not be big postseason contributors right now but that doesn't mean they aren't providing some amount of leadership by example.   They did have 1000 PAs among them this year for the Tigers.
    • Of course the question asked in that article doesn't really directly answer what a lot of people are talking about. No one is saying we want to have a roster full of guys with experience. But some have suggested that have a team almost completely devoid of guys who have had postseason success, might lead to a bunch of young players who lack role models and mentors and leaders who can help them the first time they face the pressure of the postseason, which really is a totally different animal than the 162 game regular season grind. Anecdotally, there are many guys from the 1966 Orioles (which was a pretty young team) who talked about how Frank came in and "taught us how to win". Anecdotally, back in the days of the "Oriole way", players talked about coming into the organization and learning from veterans how to conduct yourself and how to play the game the right way.   It's hard to have that when you have a total gutting/rebuild of a franchise.    Anecdotally, in the book Astroball, which I read quite a few years ago but I think I remember this part, they talked about the front office coming to the realization that they needed to bring in some veteran leadership, and specifically targeting Carlos Beltran for that reason. Maybe the anecdotes are BS.   Maybe guys just make up narratives after something is successful.   But these ARE human beings, not just a sequence of stats and numbers.   It makes sense that, especially with young players who have never dealt with failure much, the pressure of the postseason could become an isssue and it might be nice to have some wise old heads to lean on. We have a core of young players who have basically been eagerly awaited by fans, told that they are the basis of the next winning franchise, and greeted with adulation.   They came into a team that had minimal veteran leadership and no postseason experience.   They are managed by a manager who has been a coach on winning teams but has never managed in the postseason before.   They have hitting coaches who were hired because of their ability to promote a hitting philosophy and modern coaching techniques that the organization believes are optimal, but who have never coached major league players before in any capacity. Our core players are trying to figure out how to be major leaguers with far less guidance than people who have been there, than perhaps any group of young players ever.   They may be getting excellent instruction and swing analysis and data that will help them hit better, but they have no one who has been through the mental and physical and emotional  tribulations of being a young player in the majors and triumphed, to serve as an example as they try to grown into superstars and champions. In previous seasons, before "liftoff", we brought in guys like Frazier and Chirinos specifically to serve as veteran role modeals, and were able to do so because all the MLB pieces weren't in place yet and there were roster spots available.   Now those spots aren't available, and if we bring in someone for veteranosity they are also going to have to be good enough to play on a championship team.   Harder to find those guys of course.   But I wouldn't dismiss the need altogether.
    • It sounds like it was bad but perhaps not as bad as they thought it would be. 
  • Popular Contributors