It's time to go back to a seven man pen

ReclaimTheCrown

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

We've got a better version of Kim in Seth Smith, and combined with what Mancini's shown, it creates a big problem for Kim.  Gentry, Rickard, and/or Bourn are out there to provide better defense, baserunning, ability to play CF, what have you -- Kim does none of that.

Yeah I agree.  I wonder if anyone useful could be had for Kim if we eat his salary. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Emory Eagle said:

I guess Kim is the odd man out, but I think over the course of the season he's a much better hitter than Rickard or Gentry.  Not sure how to quantify the defensive side, but it might outweigh that advantage w/ the bat.  Oh well.  We definitely need some additional pitching. 

Rickard is a worse defensive outfielder than Kim. It's sad that a novice outfielder like Trey Mancini knows how to take better routes to track down flyballs than Rickard dies. 

25 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Rickard is a worse defensive outfielder than Kim. It's sad that a novice outfielder like Trey Mancini knows how to take better routes to track down flyballs than Rickard dies. 

This is just absurd. Kim has Jhonny Damon's arm and Harold Baines's(1996) speed. 

I am not changing a thing on this team right now.  6 wins in a row.  Verrett and Asher are coming up big.  Buck is using the 5 man bench effectively.   Leave it alone.

Kim is depth.  Injuries will come. They always do.  Then Kim will get his chance for playing time.   

What is even more amazing about the O's organizationally right now is that Pedro hit 22 homers and put up an 826 OPS last year and   he is just depth this year.   Bourn helped the O's to the playoffs last year by pushing Trumbo to DH and he is now at AAA.   Jackson could be good veteran depth but he may not be as good as Ynoa, Bleier or Yacabonis.   

Tonight the O's have Brach, O'Day and Hart in the pen.  They can probably get one inning out on Givens if they need it. Asher has  had two days off and may be used in relief but they would probably rather give him another day if they can.

This team right now  is  winning the the games the shouldn't win.  Ubaldo vs Scherzer with no Brach or O'Day while playing one of the best teams in baseball.  Who is kidding who?  The odds were against the O's last night and they pulled it out.

Don't touch a thing.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not until they really have to.  Castillo for Franky on the 12th.

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not changing a thing on this team right now.  6 wins in a row.  Verrett and Asher are coming up big.  Buck is using the 5 man bench effectively.   Leave it alone.

Kim is depth.  Injuries will come. They always do.  Then Kim will get his chance for playing time.   

What is even more amazing about the O's organizationally right now is that Pedro hit 22 homers and put up an 826 OPS last year and   he is just depth this year.   Bourn helped the O's to the playoffs last year by pushing Trumbo to DH and he is now at AAA.   Jackson could be good veteran depth but he may not be as good as Ynoa, Bleier or Yacabonis.   

Tonight the O's have Brach, O'Day and Hart in the pen.  They can probably get one inning out on Givens if they need it. Asher has  had two days off and may be used in relief but they would probably rather give him another day if they can.

This team right now  is  winning the the games the shouldn't win.  Ubaldo vs Scherzer with no Brach or O'Day while playing one of the best teams in baseball.  Who is kidding who?  The odds were against the O's last night and they pulled it out.

Don't touch a thing.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not until they really have to.  Castillo for Franky on the 12th.

I agree with this. There's not a need to do something drastic like trade Kim or DFA Gentry.  But with not a lot of off days anymore we might be getting close. Plus Trumbo and Smith don't have the best track records of staying healthy all year. But if we can get a solid MR for Kim I would do it in a heartbeat. 

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree with this. There's not a need to do something drastic like trade Kim or DFA Gentry.  But with not a lot of off days anymore we might be getting close. Plus Trumbo and Smith don't have the best track records of staying healthy all year. But if we can get a solid MR for Kim I would do it in a heartbeat. 

Smith being out would put us in a bind. Trumbo can be replaced at DH by Mancini, and we throw Kim in the field if that happens 

8 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I wanted Kim to hit for Caleb Joseph in the 11th against a righty. Frankly, if he isn't going to pinch hit in that situation, he probably shouldn't be on the roster.

Buck rarely ever hits for his catcher and Pena was last man on bench. Plus they would just walk Kim and pitch to Rickard. 

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Could be but how bad do they want him when he's a FA after the year.  I could definitely see him winding up there.  As a FA.

I'm not sure they would trade for him. I just think he fits the profile for what they look for in a player. I agree, I could see him ending up there at some point.

10 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I wanted Kim to hit for Caleb Joseph in the 11th against a righty. Frankly, if he isn't going to pinch hit in that situation, he probably shouldn't be on the roster.

And yet, he left Smith in to face a lefty in the 10th (and it worked). Buck also left Trumbo in the 12th, even though Kim would have had a matchup advantage as well as less strikeout risk. But it worked. 

I am not sure what Kim's role is, but then again the 6 man bullpen with the shuttle action seems to be working. 

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And yet, he left Smith in to face a lefty in the 10th (and it worked). Buck also left Trumbo in the 12th, even though Kim would have had a matchup advantage as well as less strikeout risk. But it worked. 

I am not sure what Kim's role is, but then again the 6 man bullpen with the shuttle action seems to be working. 

Wasn't Pens the only RH hitter left on the bench at that time? I'd rather have Smith hit there too.

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It's time to go back to a normal 12 man pitching staff. We can't run our guys into the ground in the pen. 

Buck just said that we had a three man pen tonight. We can't win like that. It's time to get rid of a position player ASAP. I like the idea of trading Kim for a vet reliever if we can. Hello San Francisco. 

I think one of two things needs to happen, either Buck needs to start using his relievers in multiple inning stints more often or he needs to go back to a 7-man pen. If the Orioles were really running on a 3-man pen tonight, that means he was too short and probably needs another arm. The outings by Asher, Ynoa (forced) and Verrett were good signs that he plans to use these guys in this kind of role. Saying that, with's Buck's penchant for keeping his starter's out there a batter or two too long and too often, the last thing Duquette wants to do is give him a short pen to work from.

10 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I kinda thought he should have pinched hit for him there as well, but it could have been that Pena was only available in an emergency situation. Saying that, I agree, if Kim is not going to pinch hit for Hardy or Joseph in key late inning situations with a right-hander on the mound, that's one less skill he brings to the team.

9 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

We've got a better version of Kim in Seth Smith, and combined with what Mancini's shown, it creates a big problem for Kim.  Gentry, Rickard, and/or Bourn are out there to provide better defense, baserunning, ability to play CF, what have you -- Kim does none of that.

The fact that Bourn will be ready soon really makes me think the team might be better of moving Kim. If they can get a decent reliever or another depth long man/5th starter guy for him I'd move him. His lack of defense, power or speed limits his effectiveness and as long as Mancini is hitting and playing passable left field, it's going to be hard to take him out of the lineup which leaves Kim with little role on the team. Even if Mancini stops hitting right-handers, the fact that they can bring Bourn up and he'll provide defense and speed means they could actually sacrifice Gentry or Rickard and keep Mancini for the year.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I take your "if-it-ain't-broke" point here, I really do.  I'm just concerned that, especially with Britton out, we're really shortening up our bullpen and leaving it too exposed.  Apparently we had only three relievers available last night (Verrett, Givens, and seemingly Hart), per Buck's post-game conference.  That's in a game with Ubaldo going against a high-octane offense.  That could've easily been a two innings outing.  I'm sure some guys probably could've been pressed into duty, including tonight's starter Miley....but is carrying Rickard, Gentry, and Kim really worth it?  I don't think so anymore.

I definitely love the depth of the bench right now.  I think it's a luxury we may not be able to afford much longer.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

While I get where you are coming from, let's be honest, Kim has played in only 16 games and has put up a -0.1 WAR. They are winning without him. If Buck has an extra reliever tonight, maybe he takes out Ubaldo before he gives up the lead. MAYBE is the key word here though as this has Buck's managing style written all over it regardless of the three-man pen he supposedly was working with.

With Bourn available soon, there's replacement for him that has more speed and much better defense if they need another left-handed outfielder. Honestly, the best move for this team might be to move Kim, DFA Gentry (I think he would pass through waivers and if not finding a good defensive outfielder with good speed who can't hit isn't hard to find), promote Bourn and bring up another reliever or acquire one for Kim.

Archived