It's time to go back to a seven man pen

ReclaimTheCrown

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I think Buck has pushed his starters more than usual early on. 

Last year through 34 games: 190.2 IP.

This year through 34 games: 186.1 IP.

Now, we did have two artificially short starts this year -- Gausman ejected and Miley struck by two line drives.    We had at least one last year -- Tillman yanked after two innings on Opening Day due to a lengthy rain delay.    In the end, not much different IMO.    The starters have done a little better this year and that also will lead to them staying in games a little longer.    

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Last year through 34 games: 190.2 IP.

This year through 34 games: 186.1 IP.

Now, we did have two artificially short starts this year -- Gausman ejected and Miley struck by two line drives.    We had at least one last year -- Tillman yanked after two innings on Opening Day due to a lengthy rain delay.    In the end, not much different IMO.    The starters have done a little better this year and that also will lead to them staying in games a little longer.    

Sure, but he also didn't have Bundy early last year. No doubt how well the starters are doing impacts it. I am more referring fo recently.  

Let's say Gausman goes 6 one game, a 10 inning difference in 34 games is still 10 fewer innings the pen has had to pitch. We also weren't shuttling guys to and from Norfolk every day.  

No Britton has of course impacted how Buck has managed. Recently Buck has not had many options when it comes time to yank his starter. The issue with a lack of a 7 man pen has been recently. Early on they had a 7 man pen at times because of a lack of a 5th starter. 

I think the decision to play Rickard instead of Gentry in CF today means that Buck has seen enough of the 5 man bench and 6 man bullpen.  Today was an audition to see if Rickard can handle CF.  If he can, there's not much point to keeping Gentry around.  

Regardless of how many relievers the team has, it would help if the O's would keep guys up who have pitched well.  I'm not sure why Logan Verrett was sent down, for instance.  Both of his appearances were in high stress situations and he pitched well in both of them.  

For Kim to belong on the major league roster, he needs to be starting against right-handed pitchers. But to do so would take away at-bats from Mancini. I don't know what the answer is but I think they need to go back to a 7-man bullpen ASAP. 

I see where you're coming from. Heck maybe it's the best move with Gausman. We have good SP depth but not "set up" guy depth. I just can't see a situation where Ubaldo is in the rotation over Gausman. 

We cant have Bleier and Nuno pitching in high leverage spots anymore. I'd rather see what Yacobonis and Scott can do.  

Trey Mancini: 77 outfield innings, 0 DRS, -6.3 UZR/150

Craig Gentry: 118.2 outfield innings, -1 DRS, -20.5 UZR/150

Joey Rickard: 103.2 outfield innings, 1 DRS, 9.2 UZR/150

Hyun Soo Kim: 100 outfield innings, 0 DRS, -0.3 UZR/150

That is where all of the outfielders stand on advanced defensive metrics so far this season.  Now, UZR/150 can be volatile from year to year- for example, Gentry posted +20-plus in 2016, but was -25 in 2015.  I prefer defensive runs saved (DRS) for defensive stats, but either way, it's interesting that Kim is essentially a neutral fielder.  He's not helping us out there making spectacular plays with low probability, but he's also not hurting us out there.  The numbers actually tell us that one of the guys who comes in as a defensive replacement is the one who is hurting us the most. 

Kim was one of 20 players with 300 or more ABs to post an OBP higher than .380 last year.  Seth Smith may be a mirage- his OBP since coming over to the AL has been .336- but both players work the count extremely well and wait for their pitches.  We have to do a better job of trying to get Kim into the lineup, even if it is to up his value in a trade later in the season.  I still say he's a player we need to get creative with and get him into the lineup so long as we have him.  

I'll begin today's plea by noting that, indeed, perhaps a 7th bullpen arm doesn't change the game tonight. We went with two of our best and they just crapped the bed. Got it. I will say, though, that we have GOT to start staffing this bullpen appropriately and perhaps seeing if we have some keepers in the guys that are throwing well at the high levels this season. Bring them up and give them a chance to see if they can work into bigger roles.

We got Gentry through to AAA, which is good. And I like Pena, seems like a nice guy and a nice player. But he serves absolutely no purpose on this team. For the love of all things holy, stop with this insanity and bring up a Jackson or a Yacabonis or a Crichton. All have been pretty good at AAA (though Crichton shaky in limited big league outings). Not going to know what we've got until we see it. Hell, bring up Verrett, who has been good in the bigs but struggled in Norfolk. These guys aren't going to come right into high leverage situations, but we can see what we've got.

The bullpen is a calamity right now. Obviously the most clear savior is Britton, who is still a ways away. That said, doing nothing should no longer be an option.

A six man bullpen is bad enough, but Buck has been operating with a 5 man bullpen for the last week, because O'Day hasn't been available until tonight.  The bullpen has been overworked and has lost effectiveness as a result.  All of this just to keep Craig Gentry (and now, Francisco Pena) around.  I don't know if this experiment in roster construction was Buck's idea or Dan's, but it needs to stop.  

2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I'm about ready to blow up the whole damn thing.

This bullpen might need it soon. At some point, Hart and or Givens might need to be sent down to give them a break.

Blieir and Asher are likely gone after the game, especially if Ubaldo has to go in. 

I assume at least Edwin Jackson is added. Plus Ynoa.

15 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

This bullpen might need it soon. At some point, Hart and or Givens might need to be sent down to give them a break.

Blieir and Asher are likely gone after the game, especially if Ubaldo has to go in. 

I assume at least Edwin Jackson is added. Plus Ynoa.

I'll gleefully take pretty much anyone who throws with their right hand against this Tigers team.

I can't believe they won that game.  Got home from work just in time to see Givens walk the bases loaded and Brach give up the dinger, turned it right off and headed to the gym.  Great win.  

All that said, dear sweet lord the O's need to add some pitchers to the roster.  I don't even care if they have talent so long as they can throw strikes.  Seems like we're spotting the other team five to six base runners per game w/ the walk.  Enough already. 

Archived