It's time to go back to a seven man pen

ReclaimTheCrown

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

While I get where you are coming from, let's be honest, Kim has played in only 16 games and has put up a -0.1 WAR. They are winning without him. If Buck has an extra reliever tonight, maybe he takes out Ubaldo before he gives up the lead. MAYBE is the key word here though as this has Buck's managing style written all over it regardless of the three-man pen he supposedly was working with.

With Bourn available soon, there's replacement for him that has more speed and much better defense if they need another left-handed outfielder. Honestly, the best move for this team might be to move Kim, DFA Gentry (I think he would pass through waivers and if not finding a good defensive outfielder with good speed who can't hit isn't hard to find), promote Bourn and bring up another reliever or acquire one for Kim.

I don't think trading Kim  passes the "what if" test.   What if  the league adjusts to Mancini and he stops hitting.  What if Smith goes down with a leg injury.   In either case the O's are going to want a replacement who can hit.   Kim hit last year.  And that is the time frame that should be considered not what Kim has done for a month with limited playing time.  If one month is the measure of who goes then Trumbo should be gone but, of course, that is not what the O's would be looking at.  Kim is limited in defense, speed and power but he can get on base.  And if one to the O's offensive outfielder go down them Kim is a decent replacement.

Bourn has not hit for years except for a month or so last fall with the O's.  Kim can probably out hit him.  The comparison of Gentry vs Bourn starts with Bourn costing 2M per year plus incentives vs  Gentry  for 850K.  The way Buck is using Gentry is as a spare part that can steal a base, run the bases and play defense.   Bourn is not as fast or as good defensively as Gentry. Bourn is depth that is in the organization in case of injuries.  His opt out comes up he may be gone.

Defense has not really been a problem so far this year.   There is no upgrade needed in that area.   Smith is a good blend of offense and defense.   Jones is moving well.  Mancini who is hitting well enough to take playing time away from other outfielders is showing well in the outfield  He may look a little awkward at times but he gets the job done.  Rickard is playing well and in the last few days his offense is picking up.  

I say leave the team be.   Let it play.   They have the best record in baseball.  If in July there is move to made with Kim that is the right time to consider it after more teams fall out of contention and more players become available.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I kinda thought he should have pinched hit for him there as well, but it could have been that Pena was only available in an emergency situation. Saying that, I agree, if Kim is not going to pinch hit for Hardy or Joseph in key late inning situations with a right-hander on the mound, that's one less skill he brings to the team.

Going into the 12th inning, I feel like you should go to your backup catcher at that point anyway. I think a fresh catcher is advantageous because of passed ball / wild pitch concerns and stolen base attempts.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Going into the 12th inning, I feel like you should go to your backup catcher at that point anyway. I think a fresh catcher is advantageous because of passed ball / wild pitch concerns and stolen base attempts.

Has Pena recovered from the hand cramps he was having?

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Good point, but Caleb is probably running on adrenaline at that point.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am assuming he's available.  No way the ultra prepared Buck starts a ML game with one ML catcher.

I assume so, too, but Buck might have been reluctant to pinch hit for Joseph knowing that if Pena experienced hand cramps again, he had no other option but Flaherty.    

6 man pen finally cost us one. Buck goes with Asher over O'day. 8th place hitter hits a 2 run dinger. Asher doesn't look comfortable in relief.

We really should give Yacobonis a look. He's a more traditional set up guy. Tanner Scott is also pitching the best he has in his career. 

Trade Kim or DFA Gentry. Call up Yacobonis. Send down one of Asher/Nuno. Call up Scott/SJ/Edwin Jackson. 

Asher has impressed me so far. He missed to Taylor but his command overall has been excellent. He is a useful piece. 

I would think by June 9th or so we will know more. Off day on Monday, then 9 games, off day then 10 games off day, 2 games and then another off day. June 9 is the first of 17 straight. It is going to be very, very hard to get through that stretch with a 6 man pen. 

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

6 man pen finally cost us one. Buck goes with Asher over O'day. 8th place hitter hits a 2 run dinger. Asher doesn't look comfortable in relief.

We really should give Yacobonis a look. He's a more traditional set up guy. Tanner Scott is also pitching the best he has in his career. 

Trade Kim or DFA Gentry. Call up Yacobonis. Send down one of Asher/Nuno. Call up Scott/SJ/Edwin Jackson. 

Edwin has thrown four innings. They're going to let him stretch himself out a bit more. Scott's walking 7.5 guys per 9 ip. He's not even close to ready.

Yacobonis you might be able to squeeze a few innings out of, for awhile.

Britton's out. The guys that are left are tired. We've played so, so many close games. A game like last night was going to happen eventually. It's a product of all the close wins they've racked up. Not a lot you can do.

Archived