Realigning the pitching

wildcard

This is what I would do:

Saturday is an important date for  realigning the pitching.  Its the date when Hart is available to return.  Its the date when Ubaldo will be available in long relief.   If Tillman, Gausman and Miley can go a least 5 innings in the next three games it will allow Asher to take Ubaldo place in the rotation on Sunday.

Rotation

Wed - Tillman

Thursday  - Off

Friday - Gausman

Saturday - Miley

Sunday - Asher

Money - Bundy

For today's game Asher is available to pitch one or two innings and be ready for Sunday.   Brach, O'Day,  and Givens are also available today. Aquino is available for long relief.

Thursdays off day makes most of the pen available on Friday.

On Saturday.  The O's recall Hart and Fry.  They move  Bleier and Ubaldo to long relief.    They send Wilson and Aquino down.   Lefty Fry is better against righties than lefties so he is used as a right-handed pitcher would be.  So beginning Saturday the pen would be:  Brach, O'Day, Givens, Hart, Fry, Bleier and Ubaldo.

I don't think the O's will DFA Ubaldo before trying him in long relief first.

Extra inning games could mess with this as could a starter being knocked out early.

That's my approach.  What do you think?

I like the idea but having Tillman, Gausman and Miley each getting through five full in their next starts is by no means a sure thing. 

They won't release Ubaldo yet, I think they'll stash him in the pen as injury protection (and an innings sponge) unless they make a deal for another starter. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Keep Asher in the pen.  Fry doesn't deserve a spot.   

Release Ubaldo 

Give his next start to Aquino with the idea that Ynoa or Kipper are next in line.

Rotation

Tillman 

Gausman

Miley

Aquino

Bundy

Bullpen

Brach

O'Day

Hart

Givens

Asher

Bleier

Verrett

Asher has a better record this year than Aquino to be  a starter.

Fry has a better record at AAA than Verrett and Verrett last outing was poor.    Fry deserves the promotion more than Verrett.

The O's are unlikely to DFA Ubaldo before trying him in long reliever.  There are about 10m reasons not to DFA him.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Fry has a better record at AAA than Verrett and Verrett last outing was poor.    Fry deserves the promotion more than Verrett.

The O's are unlikely to DFA Ubaldo before trying him in long reliever.  There are about 10m reasons not to DFA him.

Don't get that argument. The contract is a sunk cost. The additional cost of DFA'ing Ubaldo is someone new on the ML roster at ML minimum (~ 600K)

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

You don't alleviate a mistake by hanging on as long as possible, you compound it. 

4 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

This is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It's a freaking waste of time. Go get Cole or Quintana. 

With what? We may have the worst system in the history of baseball. We have squat to offer for Cole. Unless you mean AJ Cole. 

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

This is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. It's a freaking waste of time. Go get Cole or Quintana. 

Are you paying?  Are you ready to send Sedlock  and Akin in the deal along for 4 others?   

The O's probably do not have the  prospects to acquire Quintana.

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

10M is down the drain.  Keeping him hurts the team. 

Verrett has won two games for the O's in high leverage situations but Fry deserves the promotion over him?  Ha!

Asher looks like a nugget as a setup man.  Aquino only gets one start, unless he's good, because Ynoa needs a start in AAA before he gets the call.  Also gives Kipper another start in AAA.

We have no idea how Ynoa will do in his next start.  He hasn't pitched in a while.  It may take him a while to get in top form.

When was the last time the O's eat a 10m contract.  I think the answer is never if the guy is healthy.  I think its wishful thinking to believe they will do it now.

I see your point on Verrett but he went to the minors and stunk it up.   Verrett vs Fry is not something that I would argue about.

4 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

With what? We may have the worst system in the history of baseball. We have squat to offer for Cole. Unless you mean AJ Cole. 

You would have to give up Bundy to land Quintana or Cole plus additional prospects.  Net improvement in the rotation would be minimal at best.  

I think Asher is too valuable to move out of the pen.  We need Ynoa back from injury and Verret back from paternity leave.  Verret pitched today for AAA.  Ynoa starts tomorrow.  Unfortunately we may have to let Ubaldo make one more start.  I think our best 12 are;

Bundy, Miley, Gausman, Tillman, Ynoa

Brach, O'day, Givens, Asher, Hart, Verrett, shuttle

On 5/24/2017 at 9:23 AM, Cumberbundy said:

It's probably not even the worst system in the history of the Orioles.   But you're right that we don't have the nuggets for a trade like that.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's probably not even the worst system in the history of the Orioles.   But you're right that we don't have the nuggets for a trade like that.  

It is disheartening when sincerity, used to disputes the depth of our systems weakness, is not much more encouraging than the hyperbole used to describe it. ☹️

I hate the argument of "he's making xx million, so he's on the roster." Does he provide any meaningful value? As a starter? No, he hurts the bullpen and 75% of the time is not going to give you a chance to win. As a bullpen member? Reference Toronto playoffs last year. Reference his inability to get consistent mechanics. Reference his struggles when he first enters a game.

All in all, he's a sunk cost and is hurting you being on the roster.

Archived