Thanks for compiling this, I participated in the minorleagueball community draft(I picked for the Brewers because the O's were already taken).  One thing to remember is with the community mock, we weren't necessarily trying to match players with teams who were interested, we were just trying to have the best draft. The mock went four rounds which made it pretty interesting, I'd definitely recommend checking it out to learn about some less known players who may go in the first few rounds.

18 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Peterson would be a great get if he's there at 21, if not I think they're better off getting there college arm fix in the later rounds. There is a lot of depth at college pitcher in this draft.

I agree.  Not really excited about Canning or Houck at 21.  Would rather go for more upside than just a pitcher who can move quickly through the system.  Since we ignore the international market and trade away prospects/picks/international bonus slots, we really need to go for high upside with our top 2-3 picks every year.  

On 6/6/2017 at 11:25 AM, Otter said:

I agree.  Not really excited about Canning or Houck at 21.  Would rather go for more upside than just a pitcher who can move quickly through the system.  Since we ignore the international market and trade away prospects/picks/international bonus slots, we really need to go for high upside with our top 2-3 picks every year.  

Canning throws strikes with 4 pitches and had more strikeouts than innings pitched.  I think he could be good.

Houck or Peterson would be steals. Houck I could see being there, but I think Peterson goes before before the Orioles. I'm really surprised the Orioles were never linked to Nick Allen given their need for a SS. Yeah he's only 5'8" but he's also the best defensive SS in the draft and still has skills with the bat. If he was  6'1" he'd be in discussions with Royce Lewis as a top 5 overall pick.                                                                      

This is going to be an interesting draft.  Lots of players all over the place in these mock drafts.  I don't see too many with huge upside at #21 (other than Ramos), but no one I'd be really upset with.  Well, except for Burger.  I will be extremely disappointed if we pick him at #21.  Having watched him in the Regionals and Super Regionals, I just don't see how he's a consensus 1st round pick.  He has a strange approach at the plate; steps in the bucket and seems to hack at everything.  Then again, he might fit in with the O's...

3 minutes ago, panick said:

Should probably stay away from Lange. LSU pitchers don't live up to expectations with the O's.

Although they do make good announcers....i.e. Ben McDonald.  I wish he would do more O's games; he's great doing college baseball.

I have been doing a lot of watching some videos today and looking at the different guys around the 15-30 range.  I like Warmouth out of NC because he has a lot of the tools and though he does not do anything great he is average to above average on all the tools.  He may not be the high upside guy but I feel he is one of the safer picks to make an impact on the major team in 2-3 years.   If we are going college pitcher Corbin Martin is a guy that I think has more upside then some of the other college pitchers.   The high school pitchers in the range of us drafting Matt Sauer stood out over some of the other guys he has the physical make up and body type to be a starter and the size gives him an extra tick on the fastball. 

27 minutes ago, Otter said:

Although they do make good announcers....i.e. Ben McDonald.  I wish he would do more O's games; he's great doing college baseball.

Did Ben McDonald honestly have the second best career (within the Orioles' organization, that is) of any starting pitcher the O's have drafted since '89? No. 1 obviously being Mussina.

19 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Did Ben McDonald honestly have the second best career (within the Orioles' organization, that is) of any starting pitcher the O's have drafted since '89? No. 1 obviously being Mussina.

Good question.  Possibly so; or maybe even Bedard?  

Archived