Child molester to be drafted?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think being a registered sex offender for your entire life over something that happened when you were a minor is a lot more significant than "a life of check-ins".

I don't want to go too far in the weeds in this conversation. But he was 15 and she was 6.  The story says it had been happening for 2-3 years.  

C'mon, at 15 you can get a learner's permit and drive a car.  Obviously the Government and society think you are old enough to make decisions.  

If he were 8 or even 10 this would be different.  Save your thinking question of when the acceptable age cut off age would be.  

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't want to go too far in the weeds in this conversation. But he was 15 and she was 6.  The story says it had been happening for 2-3 years.  

C'mon, at 15 you can get a learner's permit and drive a car.  Obviously the Government and society think you are old enough to make decisions.  

If he were 8 or even 10 this would be different.  Save your thinking question of when the acceptable age cut off age would be.  

Obviously not or 15 year olds would be tried as adults.

That one is pretty simple.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Happens all the time.  Google it.  

Sure it does, as an exception.  A very small percentage.  In this country a 15 year old is not considered competent to decide if they want to smoke, drink, serve in the military or in most cases have sex with 18 year olds.  They are not even allowed to vote.  They are considered children.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You guys are missing my point.  If your one thing with the legal system is to report, then that should constantly be on your mind.  He's not on probation for stealing a candy bar.  He's on probation for molesting a small child.  

That tells me that he hasn't accepted enough responsibility for his actions.  Sorry that its an inconvenience but that's part of his debt to society.  Punishments are meant to inconvenience you so you don't make another mistake.  The guy didn't even do any jail time.  A life of check-ins is very fair.  

He is not on probation anymore.

There was some confusion over whether or not he updated all the proper info. He was flagged, and the DA said yeah it was just a mixup, no charges. You're making it out to be something it's not.

This is a tough issue. Obviously, what he admitted to is deplorable. The kid was punished pursuant to the law, but we all know that the harm to the victim does not go away simply because the kid was rendered some degree of punishment under the law. Under the laws of this country, the kid is not going to be incarcerated for the duration of his life nor is he subject to some degree of harsher punishment that perhaps would be rendered in other parts of the world. Given that he is ultimately going to be (and has been) reintroduced into society, then we have to hope that he will become a law abiding and productive member of society. Isn't that the whole point of rehabilitation? I'm not privy to the discussions between he and the various counselors, etc., thus, I'm not qualified to determine whether he is likely to commit the same acts in the future. Since he has been placed back into society, then it is reasonable (and actually commendable) that he advance his eduction and eventually seek to gain employment. If the consensus is that he should not be able to utilize his skills and talents within the baseball industry to earn a living, etc., then I guess the sole issue to be resolved is what type of profession is a person with prior crimes of this nature allowed to pursue?

18 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

He is not on probation anymore.

There was some confusion over whether or not he updated all the proper info. He was flagged, and the DA said yeah it was just a mixup, no charges. You're making it out to be something it's not.

Probation is the wrong word.  He's being monitored.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure it does, as an exception.  A very small percentage.  In this country a 15 year old is not considered competent to decide if they want to smoke, drink, serve in the military or in most cases have sex with 18 year olds.  They are not even allowed to vote.  They are considered children.

They are considered "minors" not children.  At 15 in some states you can consent to sex with someone over 18, get married, have abortions without a parent being notified.  

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Probation is the wrong word.  He's being monitored.  

They are considered "minors" not children.  At 15 in some states you can consent to sex with someone over 18, get married, have abortions without a parent being notified.  

Actually he was both a "child" and a "minor" when the incidents occurred.  I apologize for being a year off on the legal definition separating the two.  You will note, however, that I did say "in most cases".

• 8 months later...

I don't know what to make of this, I don't feel comfortable passing judgement on others.  The facts in this case aren't necessarily clear cut though. It's a terrible crime if true, absolutely heinous, but I really don't know what to think.

If you are following Heimlich's story and haven't read this, you should.

https://portlandtribune.com/pt/12-sports/385703-274945-penalties-paid-heimlich-ready-to-return-for-beavers-baseball

It's a long read, but here are some of the key points.

Many things have become evident, including that Luke has been steadfast in denying the allegations against him, from the time he first met with police officers in 2012 until today.

• The attorney outlined two choices to Luke and his parents.

Luke could plead not guilty but face the possibility of 40 weeks placement in a juvenile institution if found guilty of the charges.

If he were to plead guilty, his case would be reduced to one charge of "child molestation of the first degree," with probation for a maximum of two years. With that, he would agree to undergo juvenile sex offender treatment, which included a number of stipulations. Among them: complete a bi-weekly counseling program, comply with curfew restrictions approved by the probation officer, have no unsupervised internet access, have no contact with the niece, have no contact with any child born after Feb. 2, 1998, not possess or consume alcohol or any controlled substance except by doctor's prescription, register as a sex offender and write a letter of apology to the niece.

Luke's parents believed in his innocence. There were several issues, however.

The attorney led them to believe chances were strong that, if Luke fought the charges, he would be judged guilty by the court. The attorney expressed that view that the court system favors the testimony of the victim.

The only way to get into the two-year probationary program was with a guilty plea. If Luke contested the charges, the Heimlichs were led to believe the logical conclusion would be adjudication.

That would mean Luke's incarceration at a juvenile facility for nearly a year, causing him to miss a year of school and a season of baseball. His parents also were concerned that if Luke were found guilty, Josh might lose custody of his children to his ex-wife and that Mark and Meridee would lose the opportunity to be with their granddaughter.

Collectively, Luke and his parents decided a guilty plea was the best route. He could stay at home, attend school and lead a somewhat normal life. If he followed all the rules through the five-year period, his records would be sealed. The parents felt that path would be the quickest toward healing and recovery of the family. They were were concerned that, if Luke contested the charges, it would require aggressive questioning to break down their granddaughter's story. They weren't comfortable with putting her through that.

I don't know if he did it or not, but there are plenty of reasons for why he'd plead guilty even if he was innocent. He requested to be submitted to a polygraph on the subject but was counselled not to because it wasn't admissible in court anyway.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I am not defending anything that was done but I'm not sure that a series of actions that were committed as a minor should completely eliminate his chances at having a career which doesn't conflict with his status as a sex offender.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a show on HBO to fall back on.

Just wanted you to know that I caught (and appreciate) the Lena Dunham dig here.

• 3 months later...

Archived