Rosenthal: Orioles Uequivocally Plan to be Buyers

Can_of_corn

Just now, bpilktree said:

No one trades in June sure you always make a trade if you can but nothing happens in June and even early July.  Last year their were only a handful of trades in June and they were Bud Norris Chris Coglin and James Shields. 

Evidently at least one team was inquiring.  I'm pretty sure they weren't asking so they could make an offer a month from now.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

There's little value to striking first anymore, I think, given how many teams remain in the race - and thus in the market - given the second Wild Card.

Further, one of our most trade-worthy pieces (Britton) still needs to time rebuild his value. And if they'd honestly consider a Manny trade, which I imagine they wouldn't, now wouldn't be a fantastic time to move him, either. Let him hit for a month and hope he corrects the course.

Rather obviously even if they go into a full rebuild mode you don't move Britton when he's on the DL.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rather obviously even if they go into a full rebuild mode you don't move Britton when he's on the DL.

Which is why there's no need to rush it. Zach could be back in a couple of weeks - he's pitching in Aberdeen tonight. That'd give him most of July to show teams he's healthy and has his stuff.

If the Orioles want to sell, that is. Which I firmly doubted even before this Rosenthal report.

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

No one trades in June sure you always make a trade if you can but nothing happens in June and even early July.  Last year their were only a handful of trades in June and they were Bud Norris Chris Coglin and James Shields. 

We traded Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop for Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger on July 2, 2013.    Good thing we rushed into that one!

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Which is why there's no need to rush it. Zach could be back in a couple of weeks - he's pitching in Aberdeen tonight. That'd give him most of July to show teams he's healthy and has his stuff.

If the Orioles want to sell, that is. Which I firmly doubted even before this Rosenthal report.

But, if a team wants to make a solid offer for a piece that isn't Britton I don't see why the O's shouldn't listen and if the deal is there, take it.  Does even the most optimistic fan think this team can win multiple playoff series?

Just now, Frobby said:

We traded Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop for Scott Feldman and Steve Clevenger on July 2, 2013.    Good thing we rushed into that one!

I'm sure if the O's had waited a week Jake would have turned from a pumpkin into a carriage for them instead of the Cubs.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

But, if a team wants to make a solid offer for a piece that isn't Britton I don't see why the O's shouldn't listen and if the deal is there, take it.  Does even the most optimistic fan think this team can win multiple playoff series?

We have no idea who the other team was, who they were inquiring about or if the communication was anything more than a "Hey, what are you thinking about this year?" It's just a bunch of jargon being thrown around at the moment that's having too much read into it.

And, yes, I think there are plenty of optimistic fans that'd be turned off if the O's cashed in their chips in late June. Not the folks that frequent this board, but many of the average fans, at the least.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure if the O's had waited a week Jake would have turned from a pumpkin into a carriage for them instead of the Cubs.

A glorious carriage.

Honestly, I'm counting the days to Jake Arrieta's retirement. So tired of hearing his name used on this board like a curse word.

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

We have no idea who the other team was, who they were inquiring about or if the communication was anything more than a "Hey, what are you thinking about this year?" It's just a bunch of jargon being thrown around at the moment that's having too much read into it.

And, yes, I think there are plenty of optimistic fans that'd be turned off if the O's cashed in their chips in late June. Not the folks that frequent this board, but many of the average fans, at the least.

That wasn't my question.

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

A glorious carriage.

Honestly, I'm counting the days to Jake Arrieta's retirement. So tired of hearing his name used on this board like a curse word.

Well, he has a 4.64 ERA right now and will be a free agent at the end of the season, so the bleeding will stop soon.    

Archived