Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lowther’s day is done: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K’s.     He cruised through the first 4.2 innings allowing only 2 hits (one a solo HR) and no walks.    But from there , he walked the next two batters before getting the final out of the inning, and then started the next inning by allowing a triple and two singles, leaving the game with runners on second and third and nobody out.    Steve Klimek came in and gave up a sac fly, but avoided further damage.    

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

5IP, 1H, 0R, 0BB, 8K

Game was suspended, so that’s why he only threw 5. 

Finished the season with a 2.18 ERA between A and A+.

So, he threw to a 2.53 ERA after his promotion to Frederick.   I tend to look at that instead of his overall ERA since it’s obvious he didn’t belong in Delmarva.   I’m very excited to see how he’ll handle AA next year.

59 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

Baby Birdland's Josh Michael wrote this about Zac Lowther and the Jim Palmer Award today:

http://www.masnsports.com/orioles-buzz/2018/09/josh-michael-zac-lowther-deserves-consideration-for-jim-palmer-award.html

I assume these awards will be announced very shortly.    Last year the announcement came on Sept. 5, a day after the season ended.   

• 5 months later...

The Fangraphs guys liked him enough to put him on their "picks to click" predicting next year's Top 100.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/picks-to-click-who-we-expect-to-make-the-2020-top-100/

It was my first opportunity to read their full write-up, which highlighted him as one of those guys with lots of extension waayyy down the mound to help his FB effective velocity play up.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Good to see Lowther there, and also Grayson Rodriguez.    

The odds are against it, but would be nice to go 3-for-3 on Hall, Rodriguez and Lowther having successful developmental seasons.  That would thicken up the Oriole content in the back half of next year's Top 100's.  A good case scenario on next year's industry lists is probably something like:

15 Rutschman, 25 Hall, 30 Diaz, 35 Mountcastle, 60 Rodriguez, 90 Lowther, with a possible wildcard if Elias can find one more piece with Top 100 potential out of the Givens/Bundy/Cobb trade cohort.  That and 2020's first rounder are how I see the nucleus of the next good team.

I'm already starting to glom on to Francisco Lindor (FA after 2021) as the capstone when we're all the way back.  I guess Machado could have an opt-out around there, but I don't think he's really a shortstop.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:57 PM, OrioleDog said:

15 Rutschman, 25 Hall, 30 Diaz, 35 Mountcastle, 60 Rodriguez, 90 Lowther,

That would be really good (to the point of really hard to believe) for all of those guys to end up next year at those respective spots. I do think others also have a chance to make that jump. Also possible guys like Mountcastle, Diaz, Akin and Hays lose their eligibility. If not, we could potentially load up the back-end of top 100 lists.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K's in his first start in Bowie. 

He's yet to be challenged in the minor leagues. Could be the first Bowie starter to make it to Baltimore, potentially sometime this year. 

Unless some sort of injury crush demands it I don't see any of the promising pitchers getting called up this year.

Archived