Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zac Lowther pitched a tidy morning game today, 7.2 innings of 6-hit, shutout ball, yielding 1 walk and striking out 7.    He did all that in 90 pitches, 66 of which were strikes.   6 of his 7 strikeouts came in the first 7 outs of the game.   2 of the 6 hits he allowed were erased on a pickoff and an outfield assist when a batter tried to stretch a single into a double.   

Lowther’s ERA is down to 2.17 after his longest outing of the year.  

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I doubt anyone in our system has pitched 7 2/3 this year. I'm glad to see they got him a couple of runs.

You will see more of it, the pitch counts are coming up. Lowther was allowed 90 today. 

Yeah, I hope so. The last guy got a hit or Lowther would have made it though 8.

I wonder if there is a chance he could spend the second half of the season with Norfolk if his ERA stays around 2 through another 5-7 starts.

43 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Yeah, I hope so. The last guy got a hit or Lowther would have made it though 8.

I wonder if there is a chance he could spend the second half of the season with Norfolk if his ERA stays around 2 through another 5-7 starts.

I don’t think they’ll be in any big hurry.   Though his ERA is good, his K rate has been pedestrian at this level and his BB rate has been poor.    He’ll need to dominate consistently for a while in order to gain consideration for a promotion, IMO.   Today was a good step.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think they’ll be in any big hurry.   Though his ERA is good, his K rate has been pedestrian at this level and his BB rate has been poor.    He’ll need to dominate consistently for a while in order to gain consideration for a promotion, IMO.   Today was a good step.

It looks like his velocity is down so far this spring. 

Good job Lowther!   I was all set to hedge the enthusiasm for this result thinking the morning game meant the clubs both had long bus trips to a new city afterwards and that everyone including the umps would be in super-hack mode.   But they play again 1030 tomorrow morning - I guess this is just weather management schedule-wise.

I remember at one point in the offseason I'd kind of regarded him the best bet, heavily influenced by the reports here, to join Hall/Rodriguez in next year's overall Top 100 lists and give us a trio of pitchers to match Diaz/Mountcastle/1-1.

Agree it'll take a lot for him to get more than a Norfolk cup of coffee - he did the two levels thing last year, and consecutive years going through two levels is pretty special.  An Eastern League Pitcher of the Year bid would be plenty to be excited about.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Oh boy.

Not injured down, just not what he was showing late last season, which is a little disappointing. t91 instead of t93-94. The fastball amazingly still plays pretty decently that low. He was using his curveball well today. Command was pretty sharp. 

7 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Good job Lowther!   I was all set to hedge the enthusiasm for this result thinking the morning game meant the clubs both had long bus trips to a new city afterwards and that everyone including the umps would be in super-hack mode.   But they play again 1030 tomorrow morning - I guess this is just weather management schedule-wise.

I remember at one point in the offseason I'd kind of regarded him the best bet, heavily influenced by the reports here, to join Hall/Rodriguez in next year's overall Top 100 lists and give us a trio of pitchers to match Diaz/Mountcastle/1-1.

Agree it'll take a lot for him to get more than a Norfolk cup of coffee - he did the two levels thing last year, and consecutive years going through two levels is pretty special.  An Eastern League Pitcher of the Year bid would be plenty to be excited about.

What I recall is that two to three times a season they would play morning games as school kid games, bringing in busloads of kids to fill the stands. A section or so would be reserved for adults who didn’t want their eardrums pierced by the screeching sounds ?

Archived