Frobby

I mean, that is just pathetic.   

Less than one inning - 1.

Less than two innings - 4.

Less than three innings - 10.

Less than four innings - 14.

Less than five innings - 23.   

I am beyond frustrated.

It's very frustrating isn't it. I was listening to the game today and Miley had over 40 pitches in the 1st inning. Kinda hard to win many ball games when your starters consistently give you no chance to win them.

I think it's a little worse than that. I can recall several games in which Buck left a starter in for 5 or 5 1/3, even though he either had nothing that day or clearly had lost whatever he started with. That is, in some games the starter went 5 innings (or a little longer) at least in part because the burden on the relievers shown by the numbers in the OP made it difficult to remove him before then.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean, that is just pathetic.   

Less than one inning - 1.

Less than two innings - 4.

Less than three innings - 10.

Less than four innings - 14.

Less than five innings - 23.   

I am beyond frustrated.

Agree it's frustrating.

42 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I think it's a little worse than that. I can recall several games in which Buck left a starter in for 5 or 5 1/3, even though he either had nothing that day or clearly had lost whatever he started with. That is, in some games the starter went 5 innings (or a little longer) at least in part because the burden on the relievers shown by the numbers in the OP made it difficult to remove him before then.

This is absolutely true.    

o

Without doing any research and with no empirical evidence whatsoever, I would guess that this is arguably one of the worst 40-42 teams in the history of Major League baseball.

How they have managed to straddle the .500 mark this late in the season with the starting pitching that they have gotten is amazing.

Yet at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily be shocked if they managed to somehow finish the season with 84 or 85 wins, similar to the competitive and slightly above-average 2013 Orioles team.

o

We have the biggest feast or famine rotation I have seen.  It seems we get either a really good start or are dreadful. There doesn't seem to be a lot of starts were we battle through and give up 3 or 4 in Six innng starts.  We have 28 games giving up 3 or less runs as a team.

7 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We have the biggest feast or famine rotation I have seen.  It seems we get either a really good start or are dreadful. There doesn't seem to be a lot of starts were we battle through and give up 3 or 4 in Six innng starts.  We have 28 games giving up 3 or less runs as a team.

We don't really have many feasts, to be honest.    I count 14 games where the starter threw 7+ IP and allowed 2 earned runs or less.    The Nats have done it 27 times.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don't really have many feasts, to be honest.    I count 14 games where the starter threw 7+ IP and allowed 2 earned runs or less.    The Nats have done it 27 times.   

Well we don't have a Scherzer I bet he has about half of them.

I think it's a two Feldman year.  I'm a little encouraged by Tillman's progress, but really only Gausman feels to me like a good bet to be sturdy enough to complete his turns the final three months.

I don't think Miley should start Saturday in Minnesota, I am hoping we'll leverage the ASB and throw a bullpen game.

When you sort of combine the ideas expressed in this thread and the one about Duquette saying the O's will be a buyer, I think we really get down to all of our concerns which is the product. And I do mean product in a commodity sense. It's one thing to have a flawed, but scrappy team, however, this team on too many nights is totally eliminated by the 4th or 5th inning. 

Just take the numbers given in this thread, this isn't just stating that the pitching is disappointing or we are getting out pitched. This is stating that a far too high percentage of our games are essentially unwatchable and disappointing within an hour of being on the air. We were never even in it. It's frustrating to watch and I can only imagine (I am no longer local to Baltimore) is even more frustrating if you are a season ticket holder or frequent the yard.

Now, all of us have some sort of masochistic streak in us because we are all still here everyday and despite our complaining, will continue to watch and be there.

But, I'm very concerned about this pitching and Duquette's buyer mentality. We all know he is either going to mortgage the future on an average pitcher, no one of any huge consequence, or he is going to make a tiny splash on some pitcher many of us will have to go to baseballreference.com to even discuss with each other. Point being, he isn't going to right the ship and he isn't going to make any steps toward long term righting of the ship. 

How much longer will the average fan accept a middling product? Or worse how much will the average fan tolerate a decaying product? Anything can happen in sports, but I feel like right now the Orioles are in the water when they can't swim and each of our organizational moves are us desperately flailing our arms to stay above water aka relevant. You might hang on for awhile, but ultimately you are going to drown. 

And we've managed to hobble together this rotation with 160 million payroll.  That's a 160 mil without improving the offense.  It's pretty shameful.  We've got into each of the last 3 (at least) off-seasons knowing that starting pitching was the top priority, increasing payroll every step of the way but this is what we've got.  A traded away farm system, 160 million payroll and the worst, or maybe 2nd worst, overall pitching in baseball.

8 hours ago, gmelson26 said:

And we've managed to hobble together this rotation with 160 million payroll.  That's a 160 mil without improving the offense.  It's pretty shameful.  We've got into each of the last 3 (at least) off-seasons knowing that starting pitching was the top priority, increasing payroll every step of the way but this is what we've got.  A traded away farm system, 160 million payroll and the worst, or maybe 2nd worst, overall pitching in baseball.

DD/Angelos decimated this franchise with the lifetime achievement award contracts to JJ Hardy, Darren O'day, Chris Davis, and Mark Trumbo

That's 60 million dollars to non-performing players.

Imagine if we would have signed two top tier starting pitchers with that 60 million, or better yet diverted a large sum to international signings and a complete overhaul of the scouting and player development systems.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

DD/Angelos decimated this franchise with the lifetime achievement award contracts to JJ Hardy, Darren O'day, Chris Davis, and Mark Trumbo

That's 60 million dollars to non-performing players.

Imagine if we would have signed two top tier starting pitchers with that 60 million, or better yet diverted a large sum to international signings and a complete overhaul of the scouting and player development systems.

And between two and three first round draft picks added to the farm.

Of course under the new system you can't really divert a large sum to international signings.

I also don't think you can sign top tier starting pitchers in Baltimore.

Archived