When do Buck and Dan finally say enough is enough?

Diehard_O's_Fan

I don't know about you Orioles fans but I want to start seeing Buck and Dan get upset. When do players or coaches start losing their jobs? There is no good reason for Ubaldo to still be on the team. If the Orioles have a losing season, I will blame it all on Dan. Dan has the power to turn the Orioles season around. If all Dan does at the trading deadline is trade for a Joe Sanders type pitcher, I will be absolutely livid. Show some balls Dan by trading someone like Brach, Britton, Trumbo, etc. That is the only way to truly improve the team.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm all for trading Brach, Britton, and Trumbo BUT you couldn't give Trumbo away and trading the other two certainly isn't going to turn the season around.   Nothing short of a miracle is going to turn the season around.   

You don't trade starters to turn this season around, though, you trade them to turn your future seasons around. I'm fine with cutting bait on '17 and trying to restock the farm system with some genuine prospects before we lose some of our top talent to free agency.

9 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't know about you Orioles fans but I want to start seeing Buck and Dan get upset. When do players or coaches start losing their jobs? There is no good reason for Ubaldo to still be on the team. If the Orioles have a losing season, I will blame it all on Dan. Dan has the power to turn the Orioles season around. If all Dan does at the trading deadline is trade for a Joe Sanders type pitcher, I will be absolutely livid. Show some balls Dan by trading someone like Brach, Britton, Trumbo, etc. That is the only way to truly improve the team.

I think Mr. Angelos has all the power. DD is a puppet and Mr. Angelos is the puppet master. Dan does what his master wants. DD has plenty of blame.  But he will only trade those players you mentioned if he is allowed to. It would be the smart thing to do so I agree with you. But I sure don't expect things to happen the way we  want.

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think Mr. Angelos has all the power. DD is a puppet and Mr. Angelos is the puppet master. Dan does what his master wants. DD has plenty of blame.  But he will only trade those players you mentioned if he is allowed to. It would be the smart thing to do so I agree with you. But I sure don't expect things to happen the way we  want.

I think it is more like Mr Angelos is the employer and Dan is the employee.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In about a month unless we pull off a miracle. DD should be fired and let Brady make trades for the future. I really don't think we want DD trying to buy a band aid rotation this winter. 

Not sure Brady is the answer. And no we don't want a band aid rotation.

What we have seen lately is not the Orioles baseball that lead to 5 years if success.  It does not show the fundamentals that allowed them to win close games, we have not seen power, and we have not seen a bullpen capable of locking the other team down.

That's a brand of baseball a lot of teams are succeeding with right now, and something Buck and Dan should be proud of because I think they developed that archetype of competitiveness in the recent modern game.

But the fact is other teams are doing it better right now, they are executing it better, they are finding and hitting on the players more.  So either the Orioles coaches, management and players need to get mad that they aren't the best at what they had perfected and refocus, or you need to see an organizational shift in philosophy from this or even another leadership group.

I have said the last two offseasons needed to be transformational, and what we got was far from that.  What we got was akin to band aides, minor improvements to model that were low risk when risk was necessary.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Logical as that might be, I will never do that.   Not ever.

Yeah, it won't do any good anyway. First, Peter does not think like most others. Second, if they lose to much then it probably means our trade assets are not doing well.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to win every game from here on out, obvioiusly. But they will win at best 50% of the games from here on out, while losing prospects and acquiring bad players in the process. I'd rather they lose, avoid buying at the deadline, and get a good draft pick to boot. Try again next year. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you're ever actively rooting against your own team, something is broken in you as a fan.

Disinterest during a rough patch, fine. Openly rooting for them to lose? Nah. 

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

If you're ever actively rooting against your own team, something is broken in you as a fan.

Disinterest during a rough patch, fine. Openly rooting for them to lose? Nah. 

Maybe "actively  rooting" was a poor choice of words. More like, "no emotion when we win or lose at this point/vague excitement that we're closer to not trading prospects for more Wade Mileys". It's just that it doesn't matter when we win. At all. Right? The playoffs are the only thing that matters, and we aren't going to make the playoffs unless we start winning a vast majority of our games, which we won't. So winning is bittersweet at best. 

Also, this is not a rough patch, this is a bad season. I've been a fan long enough to know the difference. It's a lost cause season and we have to bail on it before we make stupid choices that result in a string of bad seasons.

Archived