Is Gausman a bust?

JohnD

9 hours ago, thatbearflies said:

I shared your reaction, to be honest. I didn't feel like he owned his performance enough. I was expecting the usual, "what went wrong?" "Fastball command." But when he said, "just some bad luck," and "I wouldn't take back a single pitch." Even if you executed the pitches in the spots that you wanted them, you don't think some of the pitch choices were poor? I understand that you can't allow yourself to be consumed and dragged down by a poor performance, but if you just shrug this off (at least publicly) my concern is that you are not going to learn. 

"Just some bad luck"???  "Wouldn't take back a single pitch"???   How about throwing that stupid curve ball on 1-2 with the bases loaded that hits a guy who absolutely had whiffed at every outside pitch you had thrown??  How about that pitch, Kev?   Huh?    He is a knucklehead.   The fact is when truly great pitchers have bad breaks, like an error or something, they just uniformly get nastier.   Bob Gibson?  Never talked about luck.  Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson...what made them different was not their physical talents, because Gausman has just as much if not more than any of them, but their mental makeup and their ability to translate their mental ideas into physical action.   Kevin may figure it out one day, but more likely he will not and will become one of many who settle for achievements which are better than the majority but that are actually far short of their abilities. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

"Just some bad luck"???  "Wouldn't take back a single pitch"???   How about throwing that stupid curve ball on 1-2 with the bases loaded that hits a guy who absolutely had whiffed at every outside pitch you had thrown??  How about that pitch, Kev?   Huh?    He is a knucklehead.   The fact is when truly great pitchers have bad breaks, like an error or something, they just uniformly get nastier.   Bob Gibson?  Never talked about luck.  Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson...what made them different was not their physical talents, because Gausman has just as much if not more than any of them, but their mental makeup and their ability to translate their mental ideas into physical action.   Kevin may figure it out one day, but more likely he will not and will become one of many who settle for achievements which are better than the majority but that are actually far short of their abilities. 

Speaking of bob Gibson, "A curve ball is not something you can pick up overnight. It took me years to perfect mine."

?

What made Pedro and Johnson different was their physical talent. Gausman doesn't have more and certainly it isn't as rare. Guys see 95 in single A now, these days a 99 mph fb is nothing if someone is looking for it and it's not well located. 

11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

He probably had it down perfect in 1968.   11.2 WAR in that season alone.  1.12 ERA.  268 Ks in 304 innings.  ERA+ of 258 and WHIP of 0.853.  

He was probably 32 years old. Not the best point. 

30 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

He was probably 32 years old. Not the best point. 

Speaking of Bob Gibson, he also said..."My pitching philosophy is simple. I believe in getting the ball over the plate and not walking a lot of men."  

I really only consider busts to be players who never make it to the majors, but should have. Your Billy Rowells.

Is Tillman a bust? Gausman has a career so far pretty similar to Chris. Capable of 3.30ERA, susceptible to a 5.00ERA when something isn't working right.

This seems like the classic Matt Wieters fallacy-- didn't live up to the hype and therefore is a complete failure. Also willing to close the book on a dude who is 26.

11 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Too often he gets ahead two strikes and can't finishe them of. That's on him despite the defense.

This. The number of times he's gotten ahead and hung a breaking ball or left a fastball in the zone is crazy. 

Archived