Would you trade Manny to the Sox?

Bahama O's Fan

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

As long as I can rip the heart out of their farm system and get back, like, their top 5 prospects, sure.  

This. If we're gonna rip someone off, the who better to rip off than the BoSox. On the other hand, if we're the ones getting ripped off, then...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There are plenty of better / short term options for the Sox then to clean out their farm system for Manny (unless he agrees to a contract extension with them). Just off the top of my head...

1) Trade with Seattle for Valencia

2) Trade with the White Sox for Frazier

3) Trade with the Mets for Reyes

Frazier makes sense. Valencia's glove (he's been playing 1B this year) and Reyes' bat (.655 OPS) won't cut it, IMO. I guess they could hope playing with a winning team would re-energize Reyes.

51 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

They already have Bregman. 

Manny would be an upgrade but I don't see them trading 5.5 years of Bregman + for 1.5 of Manny. 

If you win a world series, it is worth it.  If Justin Turner wasn't tearing it up, I think Dodgers would have interest. 

35 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

From what I'm reading and hearing, Red Sox will likely DFA Panda, go with Marrero, and add a bullpen piece. They have no interest in Machado.

Must be nice to DFA a guy who is still owed around $50M.

Guess the Dodgers aren't in the mood to bail them out this time.

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Must be nice to DFA a guy who is still owed around $50M.

Guess the Dodgers aren't in the mood to bail them out this time.

I'm sure they don't think it's nice

and hold on... I think CD will be DFA'd or otherwise salary dumped with the O's eating more than 50 million

1 hour ago, theobird said:

You have to trade with anyone if the return is right. The whole idea is to get better for the future, if the Red Sox can provide that then you trade with them.

But what is right?  Getting better for the future will have to involve 4-8 wins (after discounting heavily for the risk that prospects won't develop) a year for the next decade, or slightly less value with considerable cost savings.

9 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yes, and then sign him in 2019

I don't know why people aren't clamoring to trade him now and sign him in 2019

Have your cake and eat it too

Have Manny in 2019, plus 2-3 stud players brought in by trading him today... Instant re-build

I mean that's the ideal scenario. Not very likely. 

Yeah you trade him to Boston. Who cares? We're not competing with him, and seem very unlikely to sign him. Trade him to the highest bidder and let's get cracking on contending again. 

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If we expand to the National League, how about the Cardinals as a potential trade partner? They seem to have soured Aledmys Diaz and he could be one of the return players (and our SS of the future). I'd prefer it if he was a bit younger (he's 26), but if they're not doing a complete rebuild it' probably fine. They might be interested in Britton and/or Brach too because their bullpen has been inconsistent. Other players to target in their system...

P Alex Reyes (#9 overall MLB prospect)

C Carson Kelly (32 overall MLB prospect)

P Luke Weaver (#56 overall MLB prospect)

SS Delvin Perez (#76 overall MLB prospect)

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=stl

The Cardinals should hold or do a moderate buy.  They are way behind in the Wild Card and a good deal back in the division too.  I could live with Brach or Britton for Weaver and Perez, and maybe the Cards could too if they really think the "missing piece" to overtake the Brewers is a closer/setup guy.  Helps that Brach/Britton have another year of control, too.  

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No, I would not trade Manny to the Red Sox or Yankees.  If he ends up there through FA that is on him.  I want no parts of it.

How did you feel about trading Ken Holtzman, Doyle Alexander, Grant Jackson and Elrod Hendricks to the Yankees, in a year in which they won the pennant?

Don't be the White Sox. The only thing you should be interested in is the best return possible, especially on a deal that only has 1.5 years left. If the Yankees dump a bunch of prospects but win a WS who cares? Dumping all those prospects probably just shut their window of contention a couple years earlier than it might have been otherwise. A time during which you're trying to compete.

Archived