TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

If the Dodgers get a really good reliever, then that increases the pressure on their competition to make a move. It works both ways. 

Yeah, but if the other teams don't present the same level of high end prospects its a moot point. LAD has one of the better farm systems that I've heard looking at RP's.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure other teams won't mind waiting for Angelos to make up his mind.

Let's not pretend that most deadline deals don't happen close to the deadline.     I just looked at last year's deals.    I see one deal on July 14, one on July 20, and everything else (12 deals) on July 25 or later, including six on the final two days.      

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let's not pretend that most deadline deals don't happen close to the deadline.     I just looked at last year's deals.    I see one deal on July 14, one on July 20, and everything else (12 deals) on July 25 or later, including six on the final two days.      

And considering how long it takes the O's to overcome inertia I'd rather they start now.

37 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

What's the benefit of waiting? 

Driving up the price tag?  If for instance the Nats say no to parting with Soto on the 25th, they may say yes on the 31st, when other teams have made deals and their bullpen is still relying on Albers.

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Driving up the price tag?  If for instance the Nats say no to parting with Soto on the 25th, they may say yes on the 31st, when other teams have made deals and their bullpen is still relying on Albers.

The price tag is more likely to go down as the number of potential buyers decreases.

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

The price tag is more likely to go down as the number of potential buyers decreases.

The Nats and Dodgers are absolutely buyers and it would take a devestatingly fatal plane crash to change that.  Those are the teams buying on Britton and Brach.

Just now, JohnD said:

The Nats and Dodgers are absolutely buyers and it would take a devestatingly fatal plane crash to change that.  Those are the teams buying on Britton and Brach.

But if one of them buys someone else, the price tag goes down.

4 hours ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

I agree it is time to restock the team.   Trade Manny, hopefully out west, with a good return or even to the evil empire.  Let him throw bats at infielders in yankee stadium- that goes over good there.

Trade one of the top two relievers, Brittan (if he shows good, or if not then Brach) or maybe both if there is a good return-  maybe a top 50 and a top 100 prospect for each.  (That would leave O'Day and Givens to work in Baltimore). 

Trade Trumbo for whatever he can bring- it might just be a top 150 player in AA.

We have Sisco in the minors-  Castillio is available for the rest of the year as well.  Seith Smith can go as well.   

The yield might be:

Manny:    two top 50 one top 100:   SS, 3R and pitcher

Brittan and Brock:  ?  3 top 75 pitchers

Trumpo, Castillio, Smith:     3 top 150 players.

There would be a future.

I think Manny brings back 4-5 good prospects, with 2 being elite.

i proposed a 5 for 1 for Britton in the Dodgers thread, but there will be competition and most of them are 2-3 years out.

based on his performance with Britton out I think Brach gets you 2-3 good prospects, just look at the cost for good relievers.

dont know w about 3 in the top 150 for the other guys. It will depend on how hot Trumbo is and if someone has or develops a catcher crisis. Smith probably gets you 1 nice prospect and a throw in.

28 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Manny brings back 4-5 good prospects, with 2 being elite.

i proposed a 5 for 1 for Britton in the Dodgers thread, but there will be competition and most of them are 2-3 years out.

based on his performance with Britton out I think Brach gets you 2-3 good prospects, just look at the cost for good relievers.

dont know w about 3 in the top 150 for the other guys. It will depend on how hot Trumbo is and if someone has or develops a catcher crisis. Smith probably gets you 1 nice prospect and a throw in.

Why would Seth Smith fetch a nice prospect and a throw in?

He's a platoon outfielder, two-month rental.  What did Steve Pearce cost last year? That's what we can expect back for Smith.  Trumbo will be a salary dump if we are even able to move him unless his bat really takes off. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I really have no idea which way the orioles will go. My negative side tells me they won't and we'll be in the same purgatory next year and the year after. I just gave my thoughts on what we SHOULD do, not what I think they will do.

If the Orioles stand pat, or worse "add", they won't be so lucky as to be in purgatory next year.

Good write-up.

25 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Why would Seth Smith fetch a nice prospect and a throw in?

He's a platoon outfielder, two-month rental.  What did Steve Pearce cost last year? That's what we can expect back for Smith.  Trumbo will be a salary dump if we are even able to move him unless his bat really takes off. 

Trumbo might be better traded next year if he gets hot early

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Trumbo might be better traded next year if he gets hot early

Sure.  No rush to trade him. 

Brach and Britton.  These are the guys we need to strike on while the deal is hot.  

Machado too if the organization doesn't feel they will be able to resign him.  

Archived