Just sell in the offseason instead with the new GM

interloper

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think that's true. The man is on a contract, his contract ends after this year. He can say "no" to any contract extension and walk away, which is what I believe he will do.

Thought DD's contract ran through 2018. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, interloper said:

My OP is based on incorrect information. It's a pointless thread, let's please close it.

I don't think it's pointless, because changing the GM this offseason makes a lot of sense if the O's decide they're not interested in trying to extend Dan. He has no incentive to build for the future, if he's not going to be part of the future.   

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think it's pointless, because changing the GM this offseason makes a lot of sense if the O's decide they're not interested in trying to extend Dan. He has no incentive to build for the future, if he's not going to be part of the future.   

Hmm, so fire him?

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree.

Here lies the rub to me: Duquette made some savvy trades earlier in his tenure. But since then they've largely been poor. To that end, I'm not so sure I'm confident in a half-interested Duquette who hasn't shown a knack for keeping a well stocked farm system (aside from signing/acquiring mostly AAAA talent).

I think the best case scenario is that the Orioles do the following:

• Hang tight on to Britton until he proves he's healthy and effective. 
  • Trade Seth Smith
  • Trade Welington Castillo (he has a $7m player option for 2018 and he most likely will not exercise it)
  • Trade Brad Brach

In the offseason:

• Fire Duquette. Hire new GM
  • Trade Manny
  • Trade Britton
  • Don't exercise Wade Miley's 2018 option

I'd like for the Orioles to extend Buck at the end of this season. He's one of the best things to happen to Baltimore, he has the respect and admiration of Angelos and he's largely a very capable manager. Yes, there are other better managers out there, but there aren't many. Certainly not many that are available.

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I agree.

Here lies the rub to me: Duquette made some savvy trades earlier in his tenure. But since then they've largely been poor. To that end, I'm not so sure I'm confident in a half-interested Duquette who hasn't shown a knack for keeping a well stocked farm system (aside from signing/acquiring mostly AAAA talent).

I think the best case scenario is that the Orioles do the following:

• Hang tight on to Britton until he proves he's healthy and effective. 
  • Trade Seth Smith
  • Trade Welington Castillo (he has a $7m player option for 2018 and he most likely will not exercise it)
  • Trade Brad Brach

In the offseason:

• Fire Duquette. Hire new GM
  • Trade Manny
  • Trade Britton
  • Don't exercise Wade Miley's 2018 option

I'd like for the Orioles to extend Buck at the end of this season. He's one of the best things to happen to Baltimore, he has the respect and admiration of Angelos and he's largely a very capable manager. Yes, there are other better managers out there, but there aren't many. Certainly not many that are available.

Largely agree, except for Buck. I like that Buck came in and changed the culture, but I'm ready to move on. Also, with the moves you're outlining here, it looks like a rebuild. I don't think Buck is interested in that. Purely speculative on my part of course.

I don't think Duquette can be trusted to handle trading the big pieces, especially Machado and Britton so I have advocated firing him after the season and letting the new GM do those deals. Now the Smiths and Castillos - he can do that type of deal and I really think they need to shop O'Day immediately to move him and that contract before he hits the DL again. 

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They should fish or cut bait.   Extend him, or fire him.   I don't want a lame duck making decisions about the future of the team this winter.   

You've got a point Frobby. If Angelos extends DD this board will blow up. Some fans heads will too. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They should fish or cut bait.   Extend him, or fire him.   I don't want a lame duck making decisions about the future of the team this winter.   

I did not either. If somehow Angelos decides to relieve Dan that's one thing. But Dan does not get to decide that. 

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Largely agree, except for Buck. I like that Buck came in and changed the culture, but I'm ready to move on. Also, with the moves you're outlining here, it looks like a rebuild. I don't think Buck is interested in that. Purely speculative on my part of course.

If Buck wants to stay, then you keep him.     But you have to be honest with him about the direction of the team so he'll make an informed decision.    

Archived