Can Bleier become a starter?

wildcard

I know it sounds desperate but I think that is where the O's are right now.  Desperate for decent starting pitching.

Bleier went 14-5 with a 2.57 ERA in 26 start and 171.2 IP at AA and AAA in 2015.  He in not a strike out pitcher but he appears to get outs.

I wonder if the O's will consider it.

http://m.mlb.com/player/542947/richard-bleier?year=2017&stats=career-r-pitching-minors

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I know it sounds desperate but I think that is where the O's are right now.  Desperate for decent starting pitching.

Bleier went 14-5 with a 2.57 ERA in 26 start and 171.2 IP at AA and AAA in 2015.  He in not a strike out pitcher but he appears to get outs.

I wonder if the O's will consider it.

http://m.mlb.com/player/542947/richard-bleier?year=2017&stats=career-r-pitching-minors

It cant hurt to try at this point. Dump Miley or Ulbaldo to the pen or DFA one of them as they suck and are not part of the future 

3 hours ago, Babypowder said:

Bleier is getting by on smoke and mirrors. You can't pitch for any significant amount of time in today's game with a 4 K/9. He will get destroyed as a starter, just as he will as reliever sometime soon.

At a minimum of 1000 innings pitched, you may be right about "today's game", but I found 340 no longer active pitchers here with a career K/9 under 4.5

Among them were Warren Spahn, Rube Marquard, Tommy John, Bob Lemon, Carl Hubbell, Mel Stottlemyre, Johnny Sain and Scott McGregor

With the same 1000 innings pitched requirement, the lowest K/9 among active pitchers is Kyle Kendrick at 4.9

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

If strikeouts determined wins I want to point out that Gausman had a lot of strikeouts in a short period of time last night. We saw how he did. I actually thought about Bleier as a starter too. He's not stretched out. But I'd like to see what we have in ST with him. At least he gets outs. We can't even do that now.

Gausman didn't really have a lot of strike outs in a short period of time.

8 hours ago, Babypowder said:

Bleier is getting by on smoke and mirrors. You can't pitch for any significant amount of time in today's game with a 4 K/9. He will get destroyed as a starter, just as he will as reliever sometime soon.

"Pitching to contact" is becoming ever more dangerous. That said, it rewards results, give him the ball. 

Archived