Can Bleier become a starter?

wildcard

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AZRon said:

At a minimum of 1000 innings pitched, you may be right about "today's game", but I found 340 no longer active pitchers here with a career K/9 under 4.5

Among them were Warren Spahn, Rube Marquard, Tommy John, Bob Lemon, Carl Hubbell, Mel Stottlemyre, Johnny Sain and Scott McGregor

With the same 1000 innings pitched requirement, the lowest K/9 among active pitchers is Kyle Kendrick at 4.9

It's a different game today, as I implied. You can't be successful without missing some bats. 

18 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We tried making Asher a starter and now he's in AAA.  haha.  However, he is starting there though.  Until we messed with him he was on pace to be a 2.0 WAR reliever.  

Asher has been a starting pitcher since 2013 in the minors.     He made two effective starts for the Orioles in April and early May.    I don't have any problem with the O's decision to use him as a starter again in late May and early June, at a time when Ubaldo was not pitching competitive baseball.    I don't look at this as screwing up a good reliever by making him a starter.     We need to find someone who can give us some competitive starts, and he was (and is) a logical candidate.   He's looked pretty good in his three starts at Norfolk since being demoted, and it won't surprise me if he starts more games in Baltimore before the year's out.  

On 7/15/2017 at 1:24 PM, AZRon said:

At a minimum of 1000 innings pitched, you may be right about "today's game", but I found 340 no longer active pitchers here with a career K/9 under 4.5

Among them were Warren Spahn, Rube Marquard, Tommy John, Bob Lemon, Carl Hubbell, Mel Stottlemyre, Johnny Sain and Scott McGregor

With the same 1000 innings pitched requirement, the lowest K/9 among active pitchers is Kyle Kendrick at 4.9

When the parks were bigger, the ball deader, and the batters less muscular, strikeouts weren't as important. I think the role Bleier is in is his best role. Saying that, as bad as Gausman, Ubaldo and Miley have been, I wouldn't be against him swapping with one and seeing how it goes. I still think his stuff is better one time through an order though.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Asher has been a starting pitcher since 2013 in the minors.     He made two effective starts for the Orioles in April and early May.    I don't have any problem with the O's decision to use him as a starter again in late May and early June, at a time when Ubaldo was not pitching competitive baseball.    I don't look at this as screwing up a good reliever by making him a starter.     We need to find someone who can give us some competitive starts, and he was (and is) a logical candidate.   He's looked pretty good in his three starts at Norfolk since being demoted, and it won't surprise me if he starts more games in Baltimore before the year's out.  

I am not sure what the O's have for starting pitching at this point.

Tillman looked like the Tillman of prior years in his last start.. Dan will have to see how he does the next couple of times out before he will know whether he can be consistent.    Bundy look go with some rest.  Have to play that by ear also.

We have seen Gausman pitch better then he has been pitching  recently.  He has the ability to be good.   

Jimenez and Miley can both put good streaks together but we really can't count on that at this point so replacements may be required.  Their next starts could be their last for the O's.

Bleier is someone that has had success starting in the minors and is doing well as a major league reliever.  He could be put in the rotation at any time.  If Bleier is put n the rotation I think both Wotherspoon and Richard Rodriguez deserve chances  in the majors as relievers.

Asher has done better than his record shows.  He has made six starts.  3 were quality starts against Boston, Boston and Toronto.   Two bad one vs the Houston and the Nats.   The other start was vs the White Sox.  He allowed 2 runs in 5 innings and them got in trouble in sixth.  He allowed two singles and instead of Buck putting him he let him walk the bases loaded with Frazier and then a grand slam to Davidson.   Buck should never have let Asher who is probably the O's 5 starter in the rotation to go that deep in the inning.   Buck no  doubt did that because the pen was stressed at that point.   But that should not be counted against Asher.   

I see Asher has have 4 good starts and 2 bad one.  Additionally he has started 4 at AAA with a 2.25 ERA.  And has a reliever with the O's  he has a  3.86 ERA in 25.2 IP.   I think he deserve another chance to be the O's 5th starter.

The O's may be looking at trades, but I don't believe that are out on contention just yet.   They could still make a run.   The next 12 games before the end of the month will be interesting.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tillman looked like the Tillman of prior years in his last start. 

Dan will have to see how he does the next couple of times out before he will know whether he can be consistent.

Whew, that's better, not so many words.

Like an eighteen wheeler rolling down the highway....

Archived