Gausman option?

bpilktree

11 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

But is he fixable (as a starter)? I realize he had some good pitching stats last year. But ultimately I'm old school and I still judge a pitcher by their won-loss record. Gausman has a MLB record of 28-38. Sorry, but that screams mediocre. Yeah, I know he doesn't get run support... blah blah blah...

If you ask me, he's a head case. He's got a good arm, no doubt. but generally seems to get flustered on the mound. I just don't think he's a true top of the rotation guy at this point.

My theory is trade Britton at the deadline and get some young talent and install Gausman as the closer. Hey, why not at this point?

I don't care if Gausman goes to Aberdeen. Has an 0-7 record with a 6 ERA. As long  as he comes back in September or ST next year with a slider/curveball that can play at the MLB level. 

Thats the only Win I care about. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, interloper said:

This website has told me countless times that Gausman doesn't have an option remaining. With this article from Connolly, that's clearly now not true.

I was the one that was saying Gausman was out of options and I was wrong.  He still has a fourth option until the end of the season.

But I don't see why the O's would use it.   If they want Griffin to fix him bring Griffin to the majors.  There is nothing the Griffin is coaching in AAA that is more important than Kevin.  Make Griffin the bullpen coach and send Allan Mills to be the pitching coach at Norfolk.   He knows a lot of he pitchers there anyway from being the pitching coach at Bowie.

There is no point to sending Gausman to AAA.  The O's are out of the pennant race.   Time to look to 2018.   So use the rest of the year to get Gausman fixed in the majors.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

The point is to try to fix Gausman.  

And you think the minors can do that? What have the Orioles developed pitching-wise, that makes you think they are capable of doing that? He needs a their pitch for starters. The guys in the minors will see that, but the the guys like Roger McDowell?

27 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

And you think the minors can do that? What have the Orioles developed pitching-wise, that makes you think they are capable of doing that? He needs a their pitch for starters. The guys in the minors will see that, but the the guys like Roger McDowell?

Kevin Gausman 2013-16, for one example. 

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Kevin Gausman 2013-16, for one example. 

Guys that throw 97-99mph can overpower minor leaguers. Major leaguers eventually catch up. The Orioles didn't develop Gausman. He came to the majors relying on throwing hard. 

Gausman isn't hitting 97-99 like he did 2013-2016. At Least not as regularly.

7 hours ago, pastorfan said:

They won't do that. They do not want to tick him off like that, unless his attitude is a problem.

Tick him off already.  Tick him off with a cattle prod if necessary.  Wire him up for remote controlled electroshock ticking off if he keeps pitching like he has been.

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

And if Griffin can fix these guys and make them better...why doesn't he have Roger McDowells job? 

Buck says he values him too much where he is. Nice to know that no matter what you do it will never get you to where you want to go.

37 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Guys that throw 97-99mph can overpower minor leaguers. Major leaguers eventually catch up. The Orioles didn't develop Gausman. He came to the majors relying on throwing hard. 

Gausman isn't hitting 97-99 like he did 2013-2016. At Least not as regularly.

Per Fangraphs, he was 94.7 last year, his best year, and 95.2 this year. 

I do believe he was rushed to the majors before he developed an out pitch to RH batters. I have no idea whether that was due to our minor league program or the circumstances or maybe Gausman just isn't that good. It's probably worth a shot to try to fix him while we still can. If he has an option there is no downside to keeping him in the organization.

33 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Can someone tell me who all of these guys are that Mike Griffin is making great?   I sure haven't seen it.  Definitely isn't happening this year despite the fact that NOrfolk is a pitcher's park. 

Most notably Tillman and Britton.  Gausman is on the same path.   All three would do well under Griffin then have trouble in the majors.  They would get sent down,  Griffin would get them pitching well again then they would come back to the majors.  At some point it clicked with them.

It may not seem like it now but Gausman had a pretty  good 2014 and 2016.

12 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

And if Griffin can fix these guys and make them better...why doesn't he have Roger McDowells job? 

It's more about being able to work on things in an environment where the emphasis is on development, not winning, and where you aren't under the public limelight every minute.     And, just to do something to try to get Gausman jump-started.   The current routine clearly isn't working for him.   

13 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

McDowell really helped Miley didn't he? He's been awful for the O's. Last year and this year aside from a small lucky stretch where he was walking the ballpark...but not paying the price. Now he is.

Archived