Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

7 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I am pissed how the Yankees can get 3 quality players without giving up much where as they want the O's franchise for a trade.  I just don't understand why?  It does affect the O's, because that just pushes the O's that much less of a chance to being contenders going forward.  How am I supposed to understand this is fair?  

The Yankees gave up more than you're suggesting. They're also eating ~15.5 million or so in cash - the remainder owed to Frazier this year and Robertson over the life of his contract.

Whether or not Todd Frazier will be a "quality player" for them (as a rental, even) remains to be seen. He's hitting .207 on the year, and hasn't shown life in July.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

The Yankees gave up more than you're suggesting. They're also eating ~15.5 million or so in cash - the remainder owed to Frazier this year and Robertson over the life of his contract.

Whether or not Todd Frazier will be a "quality player" for them (as a rental, even) remains to be seen. He's hitting .207 on the year, and hasn't shown life in July.

It's worth it to them to keep the Red Sox from getting him.

16 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

• The CWS shed about 24 million in payroll over the next two years.  
  • Plus got Rutherford, Clarkin and Polo.  

Not bad for a rebuilding club.  24 million is a big deal.  Clippard is going to cost them about 2 million but they will probably be able to flip him to a contender by 7/31 or 8/31.  

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:
  • The CWS shed about 24 million in payroll over the next two years.  
  • Plus got Rutherford, Clarkin and Polo.  

Not bad for a rebuilding club.  24 million is a big deal.  Clippard is going to cost them about 2 million but they will probably be able to flip him to a contender by 7/31 or 8/31.  

It's a good trade for CWS. It only seems like the Yanks got Frazier and co. for "nothing" because they didn't have to give up one of their elite prospects to do it. The perks of having a good system...

I think we're likely to be over estimating the value of Manny Machado at this point in time.  Unless a team has a very specific need at 3B or SS, there is little reason to give up the house for Machado with only one third of the season left.  A starting pitcher or even an elite relief pitcher like Britton is likely to have more value in a stretch drive and the playoffs than any one position player.  

I think we may actually be likely to get more for Manny in the off-season than we are right now.  Unless you're looking at Devers from Boston or Torres from New York as the headliners in a trade - since they are two teams that could use help at 3B - I don't think there are many other options for Manny.

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

We haven't talked about Seth Smith too much.  Where do you think he could end up?  Cleveland?  Chisenhall and Jackson are currently hurt.

Could he be a guy that gets traded in august?

Doubt he would pass through waivers.  

It's difficult to say who the buyers and sellers are going to be.  Just in the AL there are five teams (not including us) within four games of the Wild Card. I can see the Rangers and M's being buyers.  Angels may think they have a shot too. KC and the Twins are within striking distance of the AL Central, so I don't see them rolling over.  Its likely some of those teams stand pat at the deadline.  

The potential buyers in the NL are pretty clear:  Nationals, Brewers, Cubs, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Rockies.  

53 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I am pissed how the Yankees can get 3 quality players without giving up much where as they want the O's franchise for a trade.  I just don't understand why?  It does affect the O's, because that just pushes the O's that much less of a chance to being contenders going forward.  How am I supposed to understand this is fair?  

They are a better team. Have a better minor league system. I don't consider it unfair that they have the players to make deals the O's don't. Don't blame a successful run team for the success they have.  Blame the O's for their shortcomings. Can't develope starting pitchers. Is it international players the owner won't allow to be drafted? The minors were bad before DD got here and the farm is still short. IMO 

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think we're likely to be over estimating the value of Manny Machado at this point in time.  Unless a team has a very specific need at 3B or SS, there is little reason to give up the house for Machado with only one third of the season left.  A starting pitcher or even an elite relief pitcher like Britton is likely to have more value in a stretch drive and the playoffs than any one position player.  

I think we may actually be likely to get more for Manny in the off-season than we are right now.  Unless you're looking at Devers from Boston or Torres from New York as the headliners in a trade - since they are two teams that could use help at 3B - I don't think there are many other options for Manny.

Aside from having him all of next season as well.

14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Kind of like saying that only a team with a bad outfield would want Mike Trout for 1+ years.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Aside from having him all of next season as well.

This is true, but that is why I think we're likely to get just as much in the off season as we are now.  Teams that are pushing for the post season today aren't focused on next season, but on how the move gets them into the playoffs or a ring when they get in the playoffs.

Just now, NCRaven said:

This is true, but that is why I think we're likely to get just as much in the off season as we are now.  Teams that are pushing for the post season today aren't focused on next season, but on how the move gets them into the playoffs or a ring when they get in the playoffs.

I think they can track both at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Kind of like saying that only a team with a bad outfield would want Mike Trout for 1+ years.

Mike Trout is a poor comparison in that there is Mike Trout and far below, the rest of the baseball universe.  If a team needs a shortstop now, they can trade for Cozart at a much lower cost.  If they need an outfielder, they can get Bruce or Smith, again, at a much lower cost.  Are they Mike Trout or Manny Machado? No, but they may be an improvement that helps a team for the rest of this season and the playoffs without giving up the talent that Manny or Trout are going to cost you.

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Do we really want to go out of our way to acquire a 24-year-old DH? Especially since we already have a 25-year-old that's really best suited at... DH. 

This is a good post!

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Do we really want to go out of our way to acquire a 24-year-old DH? Especially since we already have a 25-year-old that's really best suited at... DH. 

This is the same reason that I have little to no interest in getting Calhoun in a package for Britton from the Dodgers.

Archived